PDA

View Full Version : Found a way to Speed up network file transfers on 100Mbps networks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wytstang
06-03-2007, 11:13 AM
This tweak will speed up your network to the speeds you thought you were getting. It is dependant on the network equipment that you are using, so please see the oppropriate section.
By default windows uses an auto detect feature to determine your link speed. This feature can not handle 100Mbps. to change it. Click Start and right click on "My Network Places" and select properties. On the network connections windows, right click on the adapter for your network connection and click properties. Click the configure button on the Local Area Connection Properties window. Click the advanced tab on the new window. Highlight the one on the list that relates to speed. (My one card is Speed & Duplex, where the other is Connection type, i have also seen media type, and i am sure there are others) If you can figure out which one it is, simply click each one, and look at the value box, your speed property will have the value Auto Negotiate.
It took me a while to figure out how to do this since I'm not computer savvy. But I did figure it out, so here is the way I did it.
Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click Network and Internet Connection
Towards the bottom again Network and Internet Connection
Double click on Local Area Connection (new window will open)
Click on Properties (New Window will open)
Click on Configure (new window will open)
Click on Advance
Click on Speed & Duplex (yours may not say it like mine so find the title that deals with speed)
To the right it has a Value box it will say Auto Negotiate. Change the Value to 100 full duplex or 100 full mode.
I checked this mode using bandwidthplace.com so with BellSouth DSL 3.0 before mode results
Speed

1.9 megabits per second
Communications 1.9 megabits per second
Storage 232.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 4.4 seconds
Subjective rating Great
Not bad good connection....Now for the After mode results
Speed

2.4 megabits per second
Communications 2.4 megabits per second
Storage 298.7 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.4 seconds
Subjective rating : Great

Now the weather here is very poor (TS Barry) so I know both of these test are off. But the was still a good improvement over the standard connection. I found this mode on TweakXP.com left hand colum labeled Tweak & Tip Categories, click on Internet & Network Tweaks, click on Speed up network file transfers on 100Mbps networks (towards the bottum) for more indepth info. Enjoy faster browsing.....Oh and if there are any computer savvy folks here who see a problem with the mode please speak up. I've had the mode since last night and have been very happy thus far.

tHE_Magus
06-03-2007, 11:43 AM
my results:

B4
Communications 2.9 megabits per second
Storage 652.6 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.6 seconds
Subjective rating Great

After
Communications 5.5 megabits per second
Storage 652.6 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.6 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Thanks!

Pats300zx
06-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow...I must be doing something wrong. I actually cause a dramatic reduction in my speed :(

This is what I had before I changed it.

Communications 8.9 megabits per second
Storage 1.1 megabytes per second
1MB file download 0.9 seconds
Subjective rating Unbelievable

bambo2888
06-03-2007, 12:04 PM
for the record, when i changed the setting, i got the good old "a network cable i disconnected". im pretty comp. savvy and i have no idea, any ideas?

wytstang
06-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Wow...I must be doing something wrong. I actually cause a dramatic reduction in my speed :(

This is what I had before I changed it.

Communications 8.9 megabits per second
Storage 1.1 megabytes per second
1MB file download 0.9 seconds
Subjective rating Unbelievable
Damn what type of connection do you have?

for the record, when i changed the setting, i got the good old "a network cable i disconnected". im pretty comp. savvy and i have no idea, any ideas?
Really? The only time I got that was when I accidently set it too Auto Negotiate-1000mps. That maybe where you went wrong. Redo it and make sure it stays on 100mbps/Full duplex.

Pats300zx
06-03-2007, 12:13 PM

I had to reboot my system everytime I changed the setting. My internet would not work after I did a change.

Pats300zx
06-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Damn what type of connection do you have?

Really? The only time I got that was when I accidently set it too Auto Negotiate-1000mps. That maybe where you went wrong. Redo it and make sure it stays on 100mbps/Full duplex.

I just have a standard Comcast cable connection.... :)

trlblazer3
06-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I was going to do this, but can't find the setting. I'm running wireless. I ran the test, and mine came out pretty good so I'm not going to worry about it. Good find though! Here's my results.

Communications 3.5 megabits per second
Storage 429.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.4 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

bambo2888
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
on 100 full mode is when it went dead... i have no idea.

07SteedaQ335
06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Dan,

if your connected directly to the DSL/CABLE modem and not going through a router its likely that the cable modem or DSL modem connects to the LAN at 10mbps only. So you can leave it at auto.

Some Cable/DSL modems do put out 100 full mbps.

And use speedtest.net for some testing pretty accurate....

wytstang
06-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Dan,

if your connected directly to the DSL/CABLE modem and not going through a router its likely that the cable modem or DSL modem connects to the LAN at 10mbps only. So you can leave it at auto.

Like mentioned earlier I'm not too computer savvy so WHAT????My computer is connected to a router I know that much. It's a Westell Versalink model 327w (asked for a high revving 347W and got no response http://forums.stangnet.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif). According to the spped test something improved. Is there a way to reconfiger the router to "open the flood gates"?

07SteedaQ335
06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
There are a few ways... check out

SpeedGuide.net :: Your Guide to Broadband (http://www.speedguide.net)

Lots of easy to do tweaks. You will see a diffirence :)

wytstang
06-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm going to try some that are in there thanks.

bambo2888
06-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Dan,

thanks man, are you coming up here today?

07SteedaQ335
06-03-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm going to try some that are in there thanks.

Sounds good, if you have any questions hit me up :)