PDA

View Full Version : Detailing is hard work

Pages : [1] 2

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Just did my first job of the year, and wow, was I sore. Took me 9 hrs in the Georgia heat. (very large truck) Anyone who thinks pro detailing is easy work is nuts. I have a lot of respect for those that do it.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-30-2013, 10:20 PM
It is indeed very labor intensive and will take a lot out of you.

Pureshine
06-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Very true if you ever do a plane it's even longer days. We did a plane Thursday took 4 of use 15+ hours.

StuDLei
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
I can't even imagine detailing a plane. How big was it and what were your processes for the in/exterior?

T3 AutoDetails
07-01-2013, 12:11 AM
That's why they come and go no offense. People come to AGO. Read, do a job then find out they are decent at maintaining a finish or removing a stain....spend however much on supplies. 2 weeks later they want to go into business.

You truly have to be in this business because you love it. Not for the money. Most the detailers that detail for money will find themselves saying "its just not worth it". The work is not for everyone. It indeed can and will take a toll on your body more so when you have a few lined up waiting to be done. Just my .02 cents.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-01-2013, 12:26 AM
That's why they come and go no offense. People come to AGO. Read, do a job then find out they are decent at maintaining a finish or removing a stain....spend however much on supplies. 2 weeks later they want to go into business.

You truly have to be in this business because you love it. Not for the money. Most the detailers that detail for money will find themselves saying "its just not worth it". The work is not for everyone. It indeed can and will take a toll on your body more so when you have a few lined up waiting to be done. Just my .02 cents.

I guess I love it then. I've only done 10 or so jobs, but it feels right. Even though it physically kicks my ass. I feel alive when I'm doing a car, and enjoy the challenges. I have a lot to learn, but that will come with experience just like anything else.

k12354
07-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Indeed it is! I'm just a hobbyist. I don't know how some of you guys do this for a living and still have energy at the end of the week to do anything else.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Indeed it is! I'm just a hobbyist. I don't know how some of you guys do this for a living and still have energy at the end of the week to do anything else.

Amen. I might be able to do it 2-3 times a week. Tops. Anyone that does it full time is an athlete in my opinion.

hoyt66
07-01-2013, 04:41 AM
Ton of work! I sitting here ready for my reg job and I'm sore as can be from detailing this past weekend. I go to the gym three-four times a week but at detailing has a workout all of its own. I wouldn't stop for that reason though. Love it on every level!

vet
07-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Yeah, it's work, but when you see the results, and people notice, it's rewarding. Just yesterday, I did an ONR on my truck, parked it behind a buddy's Harley. He said "I shined up my bike yesterday, and compared to your truck, it looks like CRAP!"

BradsDetailing
07-01-2013, 06:30 AM
I remember someone on here questioning charging $40 per hour

I figured he had never done an honest full detail before lol

andrew8729
07-01-2013, 06:57 AM
Yes it can take a toll, but it can be extremely profitable, and I agree you have to love it and be passionate about it, but that goes for any business. You can be your own boss, make your own hours(crazy long for me lol) and select your clients. I would rather work hard doing this than ever going back to work for corporate, or someone else's business. So if you have balls, and have a lot of drive, go for it! But if you dont want to put in long hours and make this part of your life, and like to complain about how sore you are this ain't for you. Work hard play hard!

c8n
07-01-2013, 07:31 AM
It is damn hard and exhausting.
On my first detail, it took about 8hrs just on exteriors. As I gain more knowledge, those hrs have been increasing steadily. Now I am looking at 12 hrs for a exterior detail. I give full props for those that does this for a living. Altho I love doing this and can fully appreciate the fruits of my labor but I don't think I could do this for a living... at least not without a helper.

VP Mark
07-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Really it is just like any hard physical job, you get used to it after a while. Gets tough in extreme heat though, you really have to pace yourself and drink a lot of liquids.

Pureshine
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
I can't even imagine detailing a plane. How big was it and what were your processes for the in/exterior?

The interior is the easy part of the plane takes about an hour. It's just like a car interior you just have to use a different glass cleaner.