PDA

View Full Version : How many buffer pads does a new business need?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Profits
06-30-2013, 09:47 PM
First post... great forum. Lots of great knowledge being shared.

What's a good selection of buffer pads to have on hand when starting a new biz focused (initially) on production detailing? Aiming for about 3 cars per day taking about an hour per vehicle until I feel comfortable with everything, and then move up to more cars, more advanced jobs, and hopefully some highline vehicles thrown in for good measure. :hungry:

How many should I have? And how often should they be washed? And should I be using a freshly cleaned pad on each new car?

Evan.J
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM
First off Welcome to AGO!

What machines are you going to be using?

Profits
06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks! Glad to be here.

Makita 9227, the CX3 kit... with a 7" backing plate.

I suppose I need a selection of smaller backing plates, too.

VP Mark
07-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I would not have any less than 6 to 10 of each color you will be using. 3 a day is a lot and you will not want to have to clean them every single day.

Phathooddetail
07-01-2013, 10:12 AM
can you tell us more about your process for your production detailing then we can better help you on your purchasing.

Profits
07-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Picked up an unused Flex 3401 from a user on this forum today in SF. I don't have a process yet as I haven't detailed my first car yet. I'm in the "acquiring gear" phase of the business plan at the moment.

@VP Mark
I'm basing my business plan on a $50 / hour rate. A $25 Wash & Wax should take approximately 30 minutes, etc. The goal is to fill up my day with enough projects to average $50 / hour for 8 hours... whether that be very simple, to relatively complex... I need to create price-points to suit the entire range of budgets and needs to facilitate the maximum potential of my personal labor and traffic.

Calendyr
07-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Remember you will have a lot of downtime. I take 35 minutes to do my 5 steps wash, but it takes me about 15 minutes to set up and an other 15 minutes to put the equipement away (roughtly). Plus you have to move from one job to the next (unless clients come to you?). So that can take anywhere between 10-60 minutes depending how far you have to go, traffic, and time to meet the client.

For longer jobs like paint correction, 50$/hour seems steep to me. I am in the planning phase too and when I put my list together using 40$/hour as a target, I find my prices to be high compared to what I have seen locally. Make sure to research your market.

Good luck with your start up, let us know how it goes!

tuscarora dave
07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
To do a car in one hour you'd likely be washing it, drying with a spray wax like Duragloss # 951 AquaWax that doesn't stain any trim, scrubbing the tires and applying a tire shine, vacuuming interior and cleaning glass.

I've been doing this kind of work for about 4 to 5 years on a professional level and have worked out some pretty efficient procedures and still can't even do all that in one hour.

You'll have no time for pads at 1 hour per car, that is unless you have a team of guys that will performing all the above outlined work before you get the car.

What I suggest is to get a couple of each color pads, some clay, some compounds, some polishes, some wax and actually complete ten or so details paying strict attention to the amount of soap, cleaners, compounds, polishes, waxes, dressings, towels, clay, water, electricity, taxes, insurances, licensing, rent etc. that you use and come up with a realistic cost per car, divide that per hour, add in the profit you need to make to warrant the effort.

I know you just started posting and I say welcome to AGO, but at least the way your first post is written it appears that the cart is in front of the horse so to speak. Stick around and learn some stuff, practice what you learn so you can get good at what it is you're thinking about doing as a business, before investing much money in something you don't really know anything about.

VP Mark
07-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Why not just use ONR with wax? It is much quicker than a regular wash, don't need a fraction of the equipment, and you can up sell a premium wax or sealant. Even by itself onr with wax will give a couple weeks protection and a great look.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Profits
07-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Ended up going with these Lake Country pads.

http://www.eastbaycarguys.com/supplies/detailing_4.jpg

cleanmycorolla
07-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Ended up going with these Lake Country pads.

http://www.eastbaycarguys.com/supplies/detailing_4.jpg

If you're looking into production detailing, why not get the proper materials. You don't need Menz, get some D151 and have at it. And at 50/hr starting out good luck! There's legit pros who do good work who charge less than that on this very forum. You should look at others prices first then go from there.

custmsprty
07-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah I did my neighbors BMW 335i this weekend. Washed, paint correction with MZ 2500, Blacklight and wheels and tires. Used my Porter Cable and it took 5 hours, felt like 10 cuz it's so damn hot and humid down here in Florida. Charged $150.00 so that's $30.00 an hour.

ihaveacamaro
07-22-2013, 10:57 PM
if you're asking how many buffer pads you need, you shouldn't be opening up a detail business.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't be charging to work on others cars.

Profits
07-22-2013, 11:07 PM
if you're asking how many buffer pads you need, you shouldn't be opening up a detail business.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't be charging to work on others cars.

You guys are a tough crowd. :props:

ihaveacamaro
07-22-2013, 11:11 PM
You guys are a tough crowd. :props:

I really don't mean to be rough and I try to keep a cool head.

But to me, it just doesn't make sense to me to charge someone for your detailing services when you're asking something like how many buffing pads to have.

It's like being a pilot but asking where the throttle is.

Build your experience and then make a detail business.