PDA

View Full Version : Any woodworkers on AG?

Bill1234
06-30-2013, 09:08 PM
I have a nightstand that im almost done with, here it is

imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/ObRWwd9,oVxU1Ne,ZJ8H5LS,Z9nytfH,FLdfVg1)

ken tuep
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Looks nice, is that poplar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Bill1234
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
what the drawer or nighstand?

Bill1234
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
I will add details
front of drawer mahogany
sides and back-birch plywood

legs of nightstand-cherry
apron and other parts, oak

top-alternating mahogany and cherry

Durallymax
06-30-2013, 10:30 PM
I hate wood. Grew up frusterated with it my whole life, couldn't nail or screw a 2x4 or plywood to save my life. Once I figured out the welder was not going to electrocute me back in middle school, I was done, no more wood, metal fab all the time.

I hated wood all the way up until recently, Bought a house a year and a half ago, wanted to remodel almost all of it but I like doing as much as I can by myself. I use the excuse its to save money but the amount I spend on tools, materials and screwups end up costing as much anyways.

I still hated the whole 2x4 nailing screwing ordealio, pissed me off. Wood always splits when I look at it, sure you can burn a hole if your welding to hot, but I find it very easy to take precautions to avoid this.

It wasn't until I got to the finish work in my house that for some odd reason I became obsessed with it. I think it may be due to the amount of precision needed for doing finish work versus slapping some 2x4s together. Plus it was fast enough I did't get bored, like in shop class when you would have to do all the dado and tongue/groove stuff blah blah took forever just to make a damn birdhouse or DVD holder.

I didn't want anything to do with a coping saw, I just mitre cut all my internal corners, as you can imagine they looked terrible. Finally I picked the thing up and found it was much faster and the finished product was great.

I got very into the finish work of our house, ask my fiance how many hours I wasted planning our banisters haha. Fast forward to today, I hate wood. I probably have a solid weekend worth of finish work left to do in our house, but i'm just not into it any more. The issue is that the stuff I left is all complex and I really don't have the drive to do it perfect thus I refuse to do it. Our downstairs was all plaster and lath so when we replaced it with drywall the window frames stuck out quite a ways, unfortuneatley it was not even so I couldn't just stick a spacer back there like before, thus I gave up. Plus we got a Basset Hound puppy who decided the composite trim I used near the shower would taste good. Then she decided the drywall would be tasty where I didn't put trim.

Someday I'll probably get back into it, I'm fairly ADD and scatterbrained, but for now I just don't care for it.

Your project looks nice though.

Bill1234
06-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Durally, your wood split because,

A-might have been soft-soft woods tends to split

B. You did not pre drill holes-helps a ton when screwing together pieces and will help the wood

I still have 3 more coats of poly left and sanding with 400 grit paper in between. I then am going to add gloss to the top

Durallymax
06-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Durally, your wood split because,

A-might have been soft-soft woods tends to split

B. You did not pre drill holes-helps a ton when screwing together pieces and will help the wood

I still have 3 more coats of poly left and sanding with 400 grit paper in between. I then am going to add gloss to the top

Thats just it, you have to make love to the wood, I just want it done. For me a bead of weld is easier.

I split the wood usually due to being terrible with a nail gun, bad with a hammer and nail as well as not predrilling any holes.

I think the thing that bothers me a lot with wood is that you can't "add" to it. If you're working with metal and need a little extra here or there, its not hard to add, with wood you have to know what your gameplan is from the start haha. Takes more skill and patience than I have.