PDA

View Full Version : I want to get my car Dipped...

Pages : [1] 2

TH3M B0N3Z
06-30-2013, 05:27 PM
I was watching some videos on YouTube from that DipYourCar channel and I seriously want to get my car Dipped. Sounds like it's damn near maintenance-free! It'll save me a lot of work, and if I get tired of it, off it comes. There's a place in Tampa that quoted me around 700 bucks for a full dip on my car. Kinda crazy, but I really like the idea and it'll protect the factory paint really well, too, but also looks cool at the same time. I thought about maybe a dark matte gray with matte black accents (mirrors, door handles, emblems, etc.). I would intend on keeping the PlastiDip on for as long as it can possibly last because I don't want to spend 700 beans for a temporary deal.

GenesisCoupe
06-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Just be sure to seal the car first.

otruba_843
06-30-2013, 06:07 PM
If you do your whole car, you will never get all of it off. There is always going to be leftover pieces in the cracks and crevices.

02xtreme07SS
06-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Just be sure to seal the car first.

:iagree:

There have been reports that after removing the PD there is a haze in the factory paint the requires polishing to remove. Most likely is caused by the chemical ingredients in the PD until it cures.

BlackHawk
06-30-2013, 06:18 PM
:iagree:

There have been reports that after removing the PD there is a haze in the factory paint the requires polishing to remove. Most likely is caused by the chemical ingredients in the PD until it cures.

+1

mswerb
06-30-2013, 07:31 PM
I did the wheels on my DD and it lasted almost one year. Not so sure I'd want to do a WHOLE car.

TH3M B0N3Z
06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Weird... it seems to be a growing trend, but they say PlastiDip is safe, and anytime a whole car is sprayed with PD, they clean the paint with an IPA solution. Even the people I got a quote from said they'd still prep the paint even if I cleaned it for them...

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Doing wheels, trim, etc is something to consider. But applying it to the paint is something to consider strongly. I have seen issues elsewhere where Plasti Dip caused Tiger Striping after being removed after it has set for a year on paint.

poweraid
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I've dipped a few parts on my car and truck . wheels - grill - gas cover - other small things - trim . I liked it and decided to try dip the whole car . did the roof in black - came out great. did whole car then in red . total fail for me . was my first try at full dip . the red was way off in color by example , didn't like it at all . then I could see bad heavy-light sections . I peeled it all off . I did use a wagner sprayer , plenty of coats and I know why I got the heavy/light looks . it's was my application. after removing it , major panels no problem but all the nooks and crannies . oh boy what freaking nightmare . never will get all the crap out/off . I even used the dip dissolver and it helped but still . I'll never full dip a vehicle again, lesson learned .

now back to full polish and oc2.0 . I'm gonna dip the side body moldings and grill on the car .wheels , roof , gas cover and rear wing spoiler already done in black .
small things are easy to do . if u gonna do by rattle can get the dip spray tips , and some dip dissolver to get crap off that doesn't come off from peeling .

TH3M B0N3Z
06-30-2013, 10:29 PM
I was planning on getting the dip done by someone in my area. I don't have the time and room to dip my car myself. I've also been looking up adverse effects of the dip on paint, nothing so far from what I can find. If I were to get my whole car dipped, it would allow me to maintain the car much more easily. From watching the how-to video for washing PD, it seems like rinsing, foaming and rinsing again would do the trick. They say you don't even have to dry the dip, no water spots, except on glass. It just sounds so much nicer. Plus my paint will be protected from road debris and rocks and stuff.

poweraid
06-30-2013, 10:48 PM
don't believe the no spots one bit , cause I do get them and I have fairly low moderate tds levels . u can wash it any way u want . foam , pw , mitt , brush , dip washer which is just an absorber towel . u can even use spray waxes/detail sprays . chemical guys has soaps and detail spray for matte vehicles . if properly done u can have a smooth finish. I'm sure u did some research already . glossifier , pearlizer, metalizer . colors up the wazoo . I really dig the flat matte looks . I just wanted to try it on a whole vehicle and after I removed it , pfft never again . just where all that dip gets into . I'll stick to wheels and grills and trim .

TH3M B0N3Z
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Is the dip a somewhat permanent deal? I know it can be peeled off, but if so desired, can it be left for a few years or longer?

poweraid
06-30-2013, 11:40 PM
I can't tell ya any more than u prob already know about that . I think them die hard dippers redip often enough that they have no removal problems? $60 a gallon , at least 4+ gallons to start depending on size of vehicle . the dip dissolver works well also for hard to peel dip.

again I will say from dipping my first full vehicle not taking into effect my newbie application . just my first hand experience of where this dip gets into and how hard it is to never really fully remove it all . no way I'm dippin my personal vehicles ever again . I'll do anyone else's though , lol . I'll stick to trim and wheels and such if I do .

up to you man . it looks cool . but if u ever want to go back to u nice shiny paint u will be foreverly disgusted just where u can see all this dip that can never get fully removed . this dip gets everywhere .

TH3M B0N3Z
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
I can't tell ya any more than u prob already know about that . I think them die hard dippers redip often enough that they have no removal problems? $60 a gallon , at least 4+ gallons to start depending on size of vehicle . the dip dissolver works well also for hard to peel dip.

again I will say from dipping my first full vehicle not taking into effect my newbie application . just my first hand experience of where this dip gets into and how hard it is to never really fully remove it all . no way I'm dippin my personal vehicles ever again . I'll do anyone else's though , lol . I'll stick to trim and wheels and such if I do .

up to you man . it looks cool . but if u ever want to go back to u nice shiny paint u will be foreverly disgusted just where u can see all this dip that can never get fully removed . this dip gets everywhere .

Thanks for the info. :)

I got a quote for exactly what I want... $830 out the door. That's gun metal dip with pearlizer of over the top, black/gloss dipped wheels, black mirror covers, black emblems, etc. There's an Audi R8 that is dipped in the colors I mentioned and it looks so sleek, stealthy and sexy. It's a color scheme I'm really attracted to, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea.

GenesisCoupe
07-01-2013, 06:23 AM
For $830 you can get a clear bra installed on your car for nearly all the panels.

My friend did two stripes on his car using plastidip, it looks just like they were painted on, however now after about a year the color is fading.