PDA

View Full Version : Questions on claying

Pages : [1] 2

carguy
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Hey, I have a question on claying, while im spraying the vehicle with my foam attactment on my pressurewasher to wash the vehicle,i take the claybar and clay the car, is this safe to do or not need some infor, i do this to save time.

richy
06-03-2007, 01:54 AM
some people clay while washing, using the soap for lube. i used to use soap as a lube, now I use FK 425 cut 50% with water for the lube. I like the performance of the clay better that way. try both and see what you like..don't be afraid to experiment..as long as you have something for lube, you can't hurt the paint.

devst8
06-03-2007, 09:19 AM
what's FK 425?

bambo2888
06-03-2007, 09:24 AM
well, make sure you actually washed the car first, theres nothing like dragging a gritted up clay across your nice, glossy paint. i get the same feeling thinking about that as i do when i hear nails on a chalkboard.

nevertheless, this is perfectly safe and is actually prefereable if you have a high-sudsing soap.

budman3
06-03-2007, 09:35 AM
When people clay during the wash, all they are doing is washing the car, rinse, put wash solution back onto the car, clay, wash again, rinse and dry. I like to wash, dry, clay... much easier for me.

trlblazer3
06-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Using the wash is fine to use as a lube. I've never tried it though. I've always have been the wash/dry/clay kind of person, its just what I'm used to. Don't some soaps break down a clay bar faster or something like that? I thought I read that somewhere.

bambo2888
06-03-2007, 09:49 AM
its not really as hard as budman is making it out. you wash the car, suds it up again, and clay.

trlblazer, ive never noticed or heard of soaps affecting clays.

trlblazer3
06-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Yea like I said I'm not too sure, I thought I read that somewehere but I'm probably mistaken. I have no clue since I've never used car wash as a lube.

budman3
06-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Yea like I said I'm not too sure, I thought I read that somewehere but I'm probably mistaken. I have no clue since I've never used car wash as a lube.

It does happen ... especially with clays that aren't very elastic. Soap and water will work but a dedicated clay lube would be safer for the clay.

Another reason why I like to clay after drying is because when I was claying during washing, I dried the car and there was still grime left on the paint. It was either from the dirty soap or stuff that didn't get rinsed off. This resulted in my pads getting dirty very fast which could cause marring. A fix for this would be to QD the car after drying ... might as well add a little clay in there since I'll be going around the car with it and be sure that the paint is perfectly clean. Everyone is different but this is my process.

D
06-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I wash, clay, wash, dry. The second wash is just a soak down with the pressure washer foam gun.

bambo2888
06-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I wash, clay, wash, dry. The second wash is just a soak down with the pressure washer foam gun.

did you get of justin's guns?

ltoman
06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
gosh I haven't worked on a car - other than wash and wax - in a while! I miss it. ?been overloaded at work, then it transfers to home.....

tonyspop
06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
what's FK 425?Finish Kare 425.Its a quick detailing spray.Its also great as a clay lube.Hope that helps,check out their website.

carguy
06-03-2007, 04:42 PM
THanks all of you for your replys on this issure,thats what ive been doing, claying while washing seems to work for me, i will try washing, rinse then clay to see if there is a difference, also i use a 50/50 water and alcohol wipe down after i dry, seems to make the surface squeeky clean. Have any of you done this?

Bence
06-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I hope that you washed the car properly, and then clayed with the second washing...