PDA

View Full Version : I need a special kind of shampoo...

danielhv
06-30-2013, 09:37 AM
I'll try to summarize... I'm allergic to a surfactant called cocamidopropyl betaine. I've spent years finding soaps and shampoos I can use in the shower that didn't bother me in some form or another.

Now I'm looking for car shampoos. I haven't successfully washed a car with gloves and not gotten it on me. :-( most of the different shampoos I've come across at auto parts stores have it. Meguiars gold class has it... I called the company that makes DG901 and confirmed it did NOT have it in there, but it still gave me a rash anyway. There must be a similar surfactant in there that I reacted to. I use dawn to wash my hands, but know it isn't recommended for cars...

Any suggestions?

KillaCam
06-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Dang that sounds tough, sorry to hear about that.

Have you looked into rinseless wash products? I don't know the msds on any but it's worth a shot. Maybe they don't contain the same surfactants that soaps do.

Theostoubos
06-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Welcome to Autogeekonline,

Interesting first post. Usually the first post is whats the best wax or shampoo, which polisher should I buy.

Seriously though, i feel that your question could ony be answered either by a chemist like Dr. G from Optimum Polymer Technologies or somebody in the forum that besides a detailing enthusiast is involved into Chemistry of that kind.

If Dawn does not irritate your hands maybe you can use it in very low concentration and add some ONR as a lubricant.

Good luck.

ihaveacamaro
06-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Use rinseless washes, I think the technology in them is different than soaps.

Otherwise, may be worth to pick up one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3117J%2BLhWFL._SY355_.jpg

kevincwelch
06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
You can look into the Eco Touch line. Some of their cleaners have CAPB, but I don't think their waterless or rinseless lines do. They list the ingredients on their website, and I recommend calling them.

Shane731
06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Maybe one of these?

P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo - Car wash shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/p2bodconsham.html)

Migliore Naturale Shampoo, all natural shampoo, car wash, auto shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/migliore-naturale-shampoo.html)

They are both organic/natural. Perhaps you can get in touch with both P21S and Migliore and see what ingredients are in those shampoos. Migliore Naturale is awesome, btw. I have not used the P21S soap.

mwoolfso
06-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Call Optimum and see if their soap has it.

PiPUK
06-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately a misc expert will not be able to help, you need to know what is in each product. CAPB is a mild irritant so should be mentioned on an MSDS - get the MSDS of whatever product you are considering and it will be mentioned. If in doubt, give them a call and ask.

the deta
06-30-2013, 05:46 PM
put on body armor and wash your car then dang lol lol, anyway try a rinsless wash!!!

Tinwhiskers
06-30-2013, 10:03 PM
I don't know if you're up to using a nano coating, but products like Permanon and 22ple work fine with Dawn.

Setec Astronomy
06-30-2013, 10:09 PM
I just looked at the MSDS for Optimum Car Wash, and it does NOT list cocamidopropyl betaine.

ski2
06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
I just looked at the MSDS for Optimum Car Wash, and it does NOT list cocamidopropyl betaine.

Same with Optimum No Rinse--If you go to the Optimum website you can find their phone number and I'll bet you could get to talk with Dr G himself (the chemist who develops Optimum's products) to make sure.

FUNX650
07-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi and...:welcome:...to AGO!

Sorry to hear you have this allergy.

I'm allergic to a surfactant called cocamidopropyl betaine.

Any suggestions?
Following are a few car-wash products whose MSDS' does not list cocamidopropyl betaine as a hazardous substance.

However...
This does not preclude the fact that any other hazardous substances, if any, that are listed on these
products MSDS'...would not pose a health risk, including allergic reactions, to yourself, or others,
without following the products MSDS' safety precautions/warnings...or Doctors' instructions.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

-Armor All Car Wash Concentrate
Chemical......................................CAS No..........Percent
Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate....068439-57-6....1.0-5.0
Benzenesulfonic acid,
C10-C16-alkyl derivatives...........068584-22-5.....1.0-5.0

-Eagle One Easi-Dri Car Wash
Chemical.......................................CAS No............Percent
Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate....068439-57-6.......1.5-5.0
Polymer(s) (unspecified)..............999999-81-6.......1.5-5.0

-Eagle One EnviroShine Car Wash
Chemical.....................................CAS No...........Percent
Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate....068439-57-6.......5.0-10.0

-Mothers California Gold Car Wash
Chemical..................................CAS No...............Percent
Trade secret/proprietary formula....000000-02-1.......1.0-5.0
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)...........000151-21-3.........<10

-Purple Power Classic Car Wash
Chemical.......................................... ........CAS No..........Percent
Contains no known hazardous ingredients....000000-01-1

-Simple Green Car Wash
Chemical.................................CAS No...........Percent
Non-hazardous ingredient(s)...999999-57-5......

-Turtle Wax F-21 Super Car Wash T-146R
Chemical...............................CAS No..........Percent
Non-hazardous ingredient(s)...999999-57-5.....100

-Turtle Wax ICE Synthetic Car Wash T-471
Chemical................................CAS No........Percent
Non-hazardous ingredient(s)...999999-57-5......100
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Hope this helps some.

:)

Bob

Tinwhiskers
07-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Wow, Bob is a stand up guy. It's pretty rare to find someone today who will spend their own time, esearch a problem, anmd try to help someone they don't even know just out of the kindness of their heart.

If no else says it, "Thanks Bob", you're a hell of a man.:dblthumb2: