PDA

View Full Version : Can you polish a coating?

Tinwhiskers
06-29-2013, 10:46 PM
I apologize if this has been discussed before but I searched and couldn't find anything. I was wondering if you could lightly polish a coating or use a paint cleaner and not affect it.

I currently have GTechniq C1 topped with EXO V1 and maintained with Permanon Platinum. The combination is awesome! I actually like when it rains just so I can watch the water sprint off the paint. It's almost possible to have a dry car while driving in the rain. Problem is in the sun I noticed very slight water marks in one area on the hood where water will puddle and can't run off.

I'd like to use a paint cleaner or mild polish like Menzerna 4500 to remove these but don't want to ruin the coatings. Is this possible and has anyone done this before?

ken tuep
06-29-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm gonna say not really. If you get on it with a polisher, it will remove it.

You might get away with a cleaner, but I'd try a inconspicuous spot first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

mwoolfso
06-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Since the coatings are typically harder than the original paint job a paint cleaner or clay would probably be the best place to start (least aggressive) in removing water spots, and "move up" by using light polishes by hand first before moving to a DA.

TroyScherer
06-30-2013, 07:59 AM
This is one of the good thing about coatings especially OC. While you may have some water spots or even swirls and marring when you go to polish you are polishing the coating off, and not as much clear coat as usual.

But when you polish, the chances are you will need to re-apply the coating as you will remove it. So I would suggest leaving it until you want to do a full correction again.

erichaley
06-30-2013, 08:40 AM
While, technically, you could polish a coating, it's so thin that any polishing will likely result in striking through to the clear coat underneath. If anything, you could probably polish and then reapply your coating to the polished area.

Tinwhiskers
06-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the information. I might try a cleaner like P21 by hand and see what happens or Rupes Diamond. Rupes claims it's so mild and removes so little paint that you can polish your paint as much as you like.

As I said, the markings are very light and I'm probably the only who would notice them.

Does anyone know what it looks like if you do cut through a coating? It is similar to cutting through the clear or you just can't tell except the protection qualities aren't there.

erichaley
06-30-2013, 09:36 AM
I'd imagine that you'd be able to tell a difference in the beading and water sheeting, but I don't think there's a way to tell for certain. Regardless of how the polishing goes, I would plan on reapplying the coating to the polished area(s).

AutowerxDetailing
06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Thicker coatings can be polished lightly. I have clayed and polished C.Quartz Finest to remove light water spots and also just to see what would happen. It's still on the vehicle after claying with Meg's smooth clay kit and M205/black CCS.

bmwgeek
06-30-2013, 02:02 PM
I have c1 from 2 yrs ago and I did a wash, clay, and Klasse AIO on it last year and coating is still on.