PDA

View Full Version : How long do flat foam pads usually last?

AliMusa
06-29-2013, 07:20 PM
With proper user and care, how long do the lake country flat foam pads usually last?

inDetail
06-29-2013, 07:43 PM
when you stop seeing results or they fail. If you think about it you are putting abrasives on them and grinding them into paint. I am obsessive about pad cleaning.
I go buy not seeing the results i used to get with a certain pad polish combo. Take into consideration paint hardness.
If you maintain your pads extremely well and they just do not feel the same while polishing. I would pull it. Asking for trouble if you push a pad and it fails while your polishing. They should last a while. I'm also the guy who cleans pads until I do not see any product residue in the pad.

RTexasF
06-29-2013, 07:44 PM
I've had some come apart the very first use and others last for years. Seems like it's in the luck of the draw.

AliMusa
06-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Is it harmful to use the same pad on more than one car?

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Is it harmful to use the same pad on more than one car?

Not at all. Just clean them after each use.

FFguy808
06-30-2013, 01:51 AM

:iagree:

Becciasm
06-30-2013, 07:05 AM
For example, just yesterday at the nova detail meet up, we were using various LC pads, and the cyan hybrids were failing after one section. All other colors and pad types held up no issues.
Luck of the draw. Clean the pads after each section and you should be ok.

Sent from my VS840 4G using AG Online

AliMusa
06-30-2013, 10:36 AM

What's the best way to clean them without having to purchase a pad cleaner? I remember reading something along the lines of using an air compressor.

Becciasm
06-30-2013, 11:09 AM
What's the best way to clean them without having to purchase a pad cleaner? I remember reading something along the lines of using an air compressor.

Pad cleaner in a spray bottle. Agitate with brush. Blot dry w towel. Or look up cleaning on the fly technique.

Compressed air is good for microfiber pads.

Sent from my VS840 4G using AG Online

KenR
06-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner is pretty good. Just spray some on and work in and rinse. I also put them in washing machine with some Micro Restore detergent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

KillaCam
06-30-2013, 12:43 PM

If I'm just cleaning polish or compound out of them then I rinse them out and do a quick wash with dawn. Doesn't take long at all.

But if there's sealant or wax in them it's going to be a little more work.