PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum wheel polishing

Pages : [1] 2

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 08:29 AM
I have high polished bare aluminum wheels on my daily driver and polishing them by hand is getting old. Water spots get baked on every time it rains in the summer from the sun and heat so polishing them often is the only way to keep them looking good.
Last year I bought the mothers powerball mini and was not satisfied with it. It couldn't get into the tight areas on my wheels.
I've been looking at the mothers powercone and also the meguiars dynacone. They look like they could work and get into those tight areas in my wheels.
Does anyone have experience with either of these or could recommend something even better? I have about 5 different metal polishes that all work great but I want to spend less time and effort than polishing by hand.

Andy B. Cool
06-29-2013, 08:40 AM
what I would suggest is to go to buschshineproducts.com. all they deal with is polishing metal. grab some of there aluminum wheel cleaner and their polish. the cleaner removes all the old polish and makes the wheel a lot easier to polish. then I would just go over them by hand with the polish. you'll see it's that easy. it would be best to get a real wheel coating to go over top like gtechniq wheel armor and give in a few coats, remember to follow the directions to a T so you get the most longevity. this also goes for the wheel cleaner and polish make sure the wheel is cool to the touch before you start working on them of the cleaner can do some crazy things. it's acid based.

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 10:09 AM
I was thinking of buying an aluminum polishing kit that they sell at harbor freight and places like that. It has three compounds and a bunch of cotton wheels and stuff to get in the tight places. I've used tripoli compound on a buffing wheel with good results.

inDetail
06-29-2013, 10:14 AM
P21s polishing soap. Easy to use get great results

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
P21s polishing soap. Easy to use get great results

Does it work good on billet aluminum? That sponge looks like it would scratch the hell out of aluminum.

T3 AutoDetails
06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Does it work good on billet aluminum? That sponge looks like it would scratch the hell out of aluminum.

Yes it works on Billet aluminum just be gentle and take your time. As far as the cones go I use Original powerball,mini and about 90% of the time it does everything I need it to do.

What drill are you using?

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes it works on Billet aluminum just be gentle and take your time. As far as the cones go I use Original powerball,mini and about 90% of the time it does everything I need it to do.

What drill are you using?

I'd like to see some more feedback on that polishing soap from people who used it on highly polished aluminum, which scratches VERY easily.

I'm using an electric drill. The powerball mini can't get into tight places because it is a ball..

Vegas Transplant
06-29-2013, 06:59 PM
I'd like to see some more feedback on that polishing soap from people who used it on highly polished aluminum, which scratches VERY easily.

I'm using an electric drill. The powerball mini can't get into tight places because it is a ball..

Google, felt bobs.

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Google, felt bobs.

Those same felt bobs come in the polishing kit I was referring to in one of my earlier posts. They look like they'd work very well.

Vegas Transplant
06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
...I've used tripoli compound on a buffing wheel with good results.

Tripoli on highly polished al. will leave a haze if not chased by a lesser aggressive polish. Consider yourself fortunate.

I have high polished bare aluminum wheels on my daily driver and polishing them by hand is getting old. Water spots get baked on every time it rains in the summer from the sun and heat so polishing them often is the only way to keep them looking good.
Last year I bought the mothers powerball mini and was not satisfied with it. It couldn't get into the tight areas on my wheels.
I've been looking at the mothers powercone and also the meguiars dynacone. They look like they could work and get into those tight areas in my wheels.
Does anyone have experience with either of these or could recommend something even better? I have about 5 different metal polishes that all work great but I want to spend less time and effort than polishing by hand.

Good product when used as intended. My experience was negative due to user error.

forrest@mothers
06-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Round balls don't go in to square corners very well.

That's why we made the PowerCone.

BTW, run your drill at low speed. There's no reason to exceed about 300 rpm or so.

If your rims are billet, after using whatever tool you use, do a final application of the finest polish you have with a rubber nitrile glove. Polish lightly and then remove the residue with a quality microfiber while still wet, wiping gently and turning to a clean area constantly. That will give you the most flaw-free finish possible.

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Tripoli on highly polished al. will leave a haze if not chased by a lesser aggressive polish. Consider yourself fortunate.

That's why I was going to follow it up with the white rouge polish afterward. And then possibly only using the white rouge for maintenance polishing.

How was your experience with the powercone after you figured out how to use it correctly?

KillaCam
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Round balls don't go in to square corners very well.

That's why we made the PowerCone.

BTW, run your drill at low speed. There's no reason to exceed about 300 rpm or so.

If your rims are billet, after using whatever tool you use, do a final application of the finest polish you have with a rubber nitrile glove. Polish lightly and then remove the residue with a quality microfiber while still wet, wiping gently and turning to a clean area constantly. That will give you the most flaw-free finish possible.

Thanks for the tips forrest! :dblthumb2:

Durallymax
06-30-2013, 12:47 AM
The white rouge will give you a decent shine, personally I've found Zephyrs platinum "Max Red" with a very loose soft unsewn wheel gives it a much more brilliant shine.

Flour on a soft towel will remove the leftover residue.

KillaCam
06-30-2013, 09:04 AM
The white rouge will give you a decent shine, personally I've found Zephyrs platinum "Max Red" with a very loose soft unsewn wheel gives it a much more brilliant shine.

Flour on a soft towel will remove the leftover residue.

So you'd recommend the max red over the white rouge?
Do you mean flour like the kind that's used in the kitchen? Lol