PDA

View Full Version : Photo Help!

BobbyK
06-28-2013, 11:38 PM
My question to the folks here is not necessarily that of detailing, but of how you highlight you're success.

In my experience, I've always been either too overwhelmed, too excited to move on to the next step, or too tired to worry about taking the time to photograph my progress... I feel I've done some pretty fantastic turn-arounds on some vehicles but have not been able to document them in a useful way!

What tips do you have as I always seem to see great pics on this site! Thanks!

swanicyouth
06-29-2013, 12:18 AM
I kind of know what you mean. Today I undercoated my wheel wells. I took pictures, I may post them. But it was a pretty filthy job, and I had to keep going back to the camera, and taking gloves on and off.

SR99
06-29-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure there are any tips for whether you do or don't take photos, and you just have to commit to doing it (or find a person to be your photogtapher as you work).

That said, as swanic noted it can be messy. You could consider a P&S camera with a remote control, and put the remote in a plastic bag so it doesn't matter how dirty your hands are. Also, put the camera on a tripod so you don't have to touch the camera to move or reposition it.

If you go to dpreview.com and do a search (under "buying guide, camera feature search," check the fixed lens camera box and click advance search then click the remote control checkbox), they list 54 cameras with remote control (many times its not included in retail package and you buy it as an accessory).

Seems like that could make it a bit easier, but it depends on what the remote can control. You'd probably want power on/off, zoom, and shutter as a minimum.

thelemur
06-29-2013, 11:38 AM
If you are working on one particular area of your car, maybe try setting up a tripod so you don't have to fiddle with the camera.

I use my phone... So I have to take it out, unlock it, launch the camera app, then take the picture. What a pain!

Shtexas
06-29-2013, 01:20 PM
After ruining my camera on the boat and with dirty hands washing the car I bought a Pentax wg3. I don't have to worry about it getting hosed, dropping it in water, grimy hands. I just wipe it off when needed.
Plus it has small led lights around the lens that allow me to take low light closeups of paint.

masterpartha
06-29-2013, 04:40 PM
A gorilla pod is best in case of doing car work wheels and doors especially. You can get it to twist and turn to various angles, not always possible with a tripod.

Ideally, a tripod, a gorilla pod and a remote clicker is what I'd recommend. Plus some company is there i cant remember but they make all weather covers for all dslr cameras - just in case you have a dslr. So you dont have to worry about touching with dirty hands.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

VroomVroom
06-29-2013, 09:03 PM
The best camera for the job is the one you have with you... This includes your cell phone, which I've been using exclusively for this kind of stuff. I do leverage some post-processing work which undoubtedly helps, my point is that you definitely do NOT need a high-dollar camera.

What is necessary, as mentioned above, is commitment to the effort. This speaks to planning out when you'll be taking pics. 'Before' shots are at least as important as 'after' ones, in other words...and in our little club, the 'during' shots are often the most valuable. Most important, though, is framing the shots properly. Find a good angle, ensure you focus on what you're trying to capture, and make sure the lighting is working for you and not against you. (99.9% of the time, this means ensuring that the light source is BEHIND you. I can't tell you how many otherwise awesome, "Look at this glothy reflection!" shots are ruined by having the sun glaring behind the car.)

Getting good involves some experimentation and a learning curve, but once you're up to speed you'll be surprised at how little time this adds to the job at hand. Obviously, this is a tiny snippet of a gigantic topic...akin to trying to explain how to correct a jet black BMW in two or three sentences, but hopefully it helps a bit.