PDA

View Full Version : Chrome: polish or wax?

Buck91
06-28-2013, 06:16 PM
What is the best option for maintaining chrome bumpers on a newer ford truck, chrome polish or waxing? Currently free of any coorosion and the like. I would think either is better than nothing but is there any reason to go with the chrome polish over the wax? Seems most are nonabrasive and leave a light silicone residue for protection while offering some chemical cleaning/polishing action. But the again maybe a good wax would offer greater protection and sealing?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ScottB
06-28-2013, 07:33 PM
look to a coating like those from Gtechnic, Opticoat, or CarPro as longer term options.

Chrome polish is used to polish not necessarily protect.

Wes Bremec
06-28-2013, 08:24 PM
I use the wolfgang metal sealant. But recently polished it and used gtechniq exo.

Evan.J
06-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm going to agree with Scott on this. If your truck is new then it would be a great idea to clean them up then coat them. This will keep them looking great all the time.

Buck91
06-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Brand new used, 38k looks like 3k. I probably just keep them waxed unless they show a need for polishing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

FUNX650
06-29-2013, 02:48 PM
"Decorative Chrome" has already been 'polished' when it comes from the manufacturer/"plater".
It's as "shiny", at that time, as it's ever going to get.
Helps to always have a good-coat of an LSP on it.

I'll suggest, to clean them:
-Wash them with your regular car-wash shampoo.

-Gently use something like Turtle Wax's "Chrome Polish And Rust Remover"
to remove surface contamination when you deem necessary

-Reapply your LSP

They should almost last forever and a day this way.
Then again: Everything eventually wears out...even AutoGeekians.

:)

Bob

davidc
06-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Collinite 845 metal wax

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2269_50509128

Dave