PDA

View Full Version : Breaking In A Speedy Prep Towel and More

Pages : [1] 2

Kappy
06-28-2013, 04:13 PM
I've read several posts that mention breaking in a Speedy Prep Towel on the glass before using it on the paint.

When folded, there are 4 sides. Is it enough to clay one or two windows with each of the four sides, or does the towel require more surfaces to be broken in?

And should you spray the towel as well the car with clay lubricant?

And a final bonus question. :)

If we get a break in the heat, I might try to do a test spot with polish on one section after claying, just to make sure I have the right products before proceeding to do the whole car. Is there any point in claying the entire car, or is it best to wait and clay just prior to polishing, especially if breaking it up into sections over a period of days and/or weeks?

Thanks.

c8n
06-28-2013, 04:18 PM
I just got a nanoskin autoscrub and i took it into the shower with me and clayed the shower glass door for about 5 minutes to break it in.

Yep... you should spray the work area as well as the towel.

It depends how much of time will pass and in what condition your car will be parked during that time. If it will be kept in a garage and not driven, you can clay the entire car and just polish sections per day. If you are going to be driving it and parked outside, just clay sections you will polish for that day.

Klasse Act
06-28-2013, 04:30 PM
I've pretty much clayed only when I knew I was doing some type of polishing afterwards but then again I've only got daily's to deal with. If you've only got time to clay you might wanna throw on a qucik coat of quick detailer afterwards if you can't polish/wax/seal afterwards. That being said, I wouldn't wait too long to treat that clayed surface or you might have to clay again.

I tried a Speedy prep towel last year and once my GG clay is gone I'll be picking up a towel for sure, makes things so much easier, love the advancements in car care!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Kappy
06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
I just got a nanoskin autoscrub and i took it into the shower with me and clayed the shower glass door for about 5 minutes to break it in.

Yep... you should spray the work area as well as the towel.

It depends how much of time will pass and in what condition your car will be parked during that time. If it will be kept in a garage and not driven, you can clay the entire car and just polish sections per day. If you are going to be driving it and parked outside, just clay sections you will polish for that day.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you spray the shower glass with the same clay lube that you'd spray on your car?

With all of the videos I've watched, I can't remember if anyone has rinsed the pad first to get it wet before using it, or just rinsed it as it was being used if it got dirty.

ihaveacamaro
06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
You can break it in on the same glass, it doesn't have to be picking up contaminants for it to be breaking in, just sliding around and being used for a little. Just my experience and thoughts.

Kappy
06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
I've pretty much clayed only when I knew I was doing some type of polishing afterwards but then again I've only got daily's to deal with. If you've only got time to clay you might wanna throw on a qucik coat of quick detailer afterwards if you can't polish/wax/seal afterwards. That being said, I wouldn't wait too long to treat that clayed surface or you might have to clay again.

I tried a Speedy prep towel last year and once my GG clay is gone I'll be picking up a towel for sure, makes things so much easier, love the advancements in car care!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Thanks.

I think I'll wind up claying a section, doing the test and then decide if I should clay the whole car, or section by section. I guess it will depend on how much area I think I can cover in one polishing session.

Kappy
06-28-2013, 05:02 PM
You can break it in on the same glass, it doesn't have to be picking up contaminants for it to be breaking in, just sliding around and being used for a little. Just my experience and thoughts.

Thanks.

By the way, I really enjoy all of your videos and reviews. I've learned quite a lot, though I haven't put much of it into practice yet.

ihaveacamaro
06-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks.

By the way, I really enjoy all of your videos and reviews. I've learned quite a lot, though I haven't put much of it into practice yet.

Thank you for watching! I hope they have helped :)

c8n
06-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Did you spray the shower glass with the same clay lube that you'd spray on your car?

With all of the videos I've watched, I can't remember if anyone has rinsed the pad first to get it wet before using it, or just rinsed it as it was being used if it got dirty.

Yep... used last touch at 1:1

Kappy
06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Thank you for watching! I hope they have helped :)

Oh they have, except I'm at the point I think I'm going to need an intervention. :)

Not because I've spent that much money on products, depending on how you define "that much", or even that I've spent that much time actually working on my car, but because I'm spending so much time trying to get an education on a subject that I barely knew existed a few weeks ago. As an example, who knew you could make your own car wax? :laughing:

hernandez.art13
06-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Thanks.

By the way, I really enjoy all of your videos and reviews. I've learned quite a lot,

+1

I use your waterless wash technique

Thank You

theblob640
06-29-2013, 02:49 PM
So I am assuming if you fold it into 4s you will have to break it in 4 times, one on each side. This might be a stupid question, but will you have to break it in every you plan on using the towel or the initial one is enough.

ihaveacamaro
06-29-2013, 02:51 PM
So I am assuming if you fold it into 4s you will have to break it in 4 times, one on each side. This might be a stupid question, but will you have to break it in every you plan on using the towel or the initial one is enough.

breaking something in by nature is a one time deal, whether it be cars, shoes, speakers, or in this case, clay alternatives.

Although you do have to break in the entire towel so if you fold before you break it in, make sure to get all four sides used on glass before you use it on paint.

07gtcs
07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
I just used mine a week ago, dunked and rinsed in a bucket of ONR rinseless wash, spayed lube on windows, pulled towel out, rang out most of the ONR.....went to work. Worked great, both on the glass to break in and on the car.

Kappy
07-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Is it safe to clay all exterior surfaces, or is there any material or area that should be avoided and not clayed?