PDA

View Full Version : applied wax too thick...

matryx
06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
I finally had time to wax the car with the Bouncer's Vanilla Ice wax I picked up awhile back.

It's actually my first paste wax I've used. Other products I have are Collinite 845, OCW, and Mother's liquid waxes. I had a difficult time applying and taking off the Vanilla Ice because of my inexperience. I applied wayyyy too much wax and it was hard as hell getting that wax off.
I probably put in towel marks because I really had to go at it to buff the wax off. I will try to put it on super thin next time but just wanted to know if there's an easier way to get the wax off if you have applied too much. I tried ONR detailing spray but that didn't help.

c8n
06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
I have no experience with Vanilla Ice but I am assuming waxes are waxes and would say trying applying more wax to the affected areas and immediately wipe off.

glen e
06-28-2013, 01:13 PM
I have no experience with Vanilla Ice but I am assuming waxes are waxes and would say trying applying more wax to the affected areas and immediately wipe off.

^^^^this info is great advice

most people new to detailing use far too much of everything.....LOL

Joeyavhu
06-28-2013, 01:22 PM
A buddy of mine did something like this when we were detailing his Land rover. I left for a minute while he applied the paste wax. This led to him using the entire contents of the new tub on 1 car. It took almost 2 hours to get it all off using beach towels since the microfibers werent removing any of it.

matryx
06-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Never thought of putting more to get it off.

So it's been a day already now and it had rained. I'll wash the car Sunday and apply some more very thin and buff off again. Does that sound alright?

Wheelzntoys
06-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Per the man himself:

I'd recommend a panel at a time application & thinner than a gnats wing ( wax is translucent and does not always haze when ready to remove ) -

Remove around 1-2 minutes with a soft buffing cloth, until you find what works right for you.

RedXray
06-28-2013, 02:00 PM
I love Vanilla Ice but you must apply as the directions states. Thin one panel at a time, remove in 1-3 min depending on the temperature, never allow wax to dry on paintwork. Even in the A/C I'll do no more than 2 panels. If I do more and let it dry... it's a pain to remove.

I remove using two towels. The first gets the majority of the residue and the second towel uses the remaining wax and buffs to a high gloss. This keeps the final buffing towel clean. Half way through the wax job, the second buffing towel becomes the first wax remover and I'll final buff with a new second.

matryx
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Per the man himself:

I'd recommend a panel at a time application & thinner than a gnats wing ( wax is translucent and does not always haze when ready to remove ) -

Remove around 1-2 minutes with a soft buffing cloth, until you find what works right for you.

Yeah I followed the thread by about the finger swipe and it was still smudgy do I left that panel and did another panel. After that I just did the whole car because I didn't know it would be that difficult to remove.

glen e
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
and if you want to start over - remember the universal (safe) solvent: 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle....

matryx
06-28-2013, 10:41 PM
and if you want to start over - remember the universal (safe) solvent: 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle....

I was just thinking about doing an ONR and putting another layer of wax on it. Kind of like layering it.

glen e
06-28-2013, 10:49 PM
I was just thinking about doing an ONR and putting another layer of wax on it. Kind of like layering it.

I'd strip it....

MrOneEyedBoh
06-30-2013, 08:37 AM
I thought 50/50 water and alcohol was too strong? More like 20% is needed. Or even griots garage paint prep.

slimnib
06-30-2013, 10:27 AM
In my opinion, any wax that hard to use, is not worth using.

matryx
07-03-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm striped it the other day with DAWN and OPC 3:1.

I'm thinking of using my new GG polisher so I'm thinking of doing a light polish with Menz SF4000. Would I be able to go straight to a pre-wax cleanser like Mothers California Gold Pure Polish and then the Vanilla Ice or should I do a IPA wipedown after the Menz SF4000 then go to the Mothers California Gold Pure Polish?