PDA

View Full Version : 1500psi enough?

BlackHawk
06-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Whats up everyone. Today i decided to get a Greenworks 1500psi pressure washer from Lowes, since it's only $99 and i could not pass that up. However, i was looking into getting a foam cannon for it. Knowing that it is only 1500psi i was wondering if that is enough for a foam cannon. Also which foam cannon would you recommend?

kevincwelch
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the flow rate (gpm) was more if a factor.

I have the greenworks 1700 psi washer with 1.4 gpm and it works really well.

I use the MTM Hydro foam lance. You can get it here on AGO, but I'm sorry to say you can get it for half the price elsewhere.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Durallymax
06-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Not sure what they recommend for the foamers, but yes 1500psi is plenty. For washing you want the most GPMs you can afford. 1500psi is perfect because it gives you good power but it wont rip decals, paint and other things off. If you do not already have a variable gun you may want to get one. Its not such a big deal on cars, but on bigger equipment it is a must.

We currently run a 1500psi 5gpm LP fired hot electric washer.

BlackHawk
06-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Yea mine is 1.3 GPM....so I hope it will work ok :/

Durallymax
06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
For a car it will be plenty, I wash farm equipment mainly with ours so I need a lot of water.

For the bigger jobs I break out the cannon. Big diesel Ingersoll Air compressor with a 1"hose, then a garden hose hooked up to the nozzle of it to create a huge "water cannon"

BlackHawk
06-27-2013, 08:56 PM
For a car it will be plenty, I wash farm equipment mainly with ours so I need a lot of water.

For the bigger jobs I break out the cannon. Big diesel Ingersoll Air compressor with a 1"hose, then a garden hose hooked up to the nozzle of it to create a huge "water cannon"

oh ok thanks! Ill definitely have to look around the web to find the lowest price.

BlackHawk
06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Oh I forgot to ask, will the mtm foam cannon hook up right to my greenworks pressure washer? Or will I need adapters?

kevincwelch
06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Oh I forgot to ask, will the mtm foam cannon hook up right to my greenworks pressure washer? Or will I need adapters?

It will depend on where you buy it. If you buy it from AGO, you will need to buy a separate 1/4" quick connect.

PM me if you want an alternate site to get the MTM Hydro with the included adapter for Greenworks.

manman
06-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Like people have said, the power is a function of both psi and gpm, so going by only one can be misleading.

I recently got the 1700psi/1.4 GPM greenworks (this one Shop Greenworks 1700 PSI 1.4 GPM Electric Pressure Washer at Lowes.com (http://tinyurl.com/ooypm2e)) Personally I feel like it's a little weak myself. Somehow it has good reviews, but at the same time a LOT of people who have said it shuts down a lot or doesn't spray at full power, and ends up dying in a few months. I took a chance anyway and I've only experienced the shutting down a few times, but I do think it doesn't spray at full power all the time so that might be it...

It works well enough for washing the car I guess, but It hasn't impressed me all that much. and it's pretty worthless for other uses like cleaning driveway, unless I want to be out there for 10 hours... I feel like you can still get a good amount more power on a pressure washer before it gets to be too much for washing a car, but like I said it works ok.

I got the kranzle fitting for mine and that works to attach the foam cannon directly to the gun (no wand). But after trying it out it really made me want a male quick connect to fit into the quick connect collar that comes with the greenworks.

manman
06-28-2013, 08:01 PM
It will depend on where you buy it. If you buy it from AGO, you will need to buy a separate 1/4" quick connect.

PM me if you want an alternate site to get the MTM Hydro with the included adapter for Greenworks.

I heard from someone that it was the 3/8" male quick connect that you need for the greenworks (like the male part of Power Care 3/8 in. Male Quick Connect x Female NPT Quick Connect Kit for Pressure Washers-AP31037 at The Home Depot (http://tinyurl.com/ofvpfke)), are you sure it's 1/4?

kevincwelch
06-28-2013, 08:43 PM
I heard from someone that it was the 3/8" male quick connect that you need for the greenworks (like the male part of Power Care 3/8 in. Male Quick Connect x Female NPT Quick Connect Kit for Pressure Washers-AP31037 at The Home Depot (http://tinyurl.com/ofvpfke)), are you sure it's 1/4?

I think I see what you're thinking.

I'll phrase it this way: the MTM Hydro foam lance that I purchased elsewhere comes with a 1/4" quick connect, and that works seamlessly with the Greenworks 1700 PSI pressure washer wand that comes with the unit.

As far as it goes for pressure washing, it's fine. It's great for the car, and it did an average job cleaning my siding and the garage concrete. I wouldn't expect much more from it. It just doesn't have the PSI/GPM to handle the really dirty jobs. However, this unit is fairly inexpensive, and if you're a hobbyist I would say it's more than adequate. If I had a business, I don't think I would have even considered this unit.

I purchased it directly from Lowes and got the two year extended warranty. So, if it breaks down as some have suggested it might, I'm covered.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/29/hadehe2u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/29/7y8yteme.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/29/e2umy3us.jpg

Bunky
06-29-2013, 06:35 AM
The pressure provided by a pressure washer dislodges dirt and the water flow flushes the dirt away. For general auto cleaning, the GPM rating is more important than the pressure. Higher pressure settings can damage paint if used improperly (too close to paint or using a direct spray pattern).

If you are stripping something like an outdoor deck, higher pressure is needed.

manman
06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
I think I see what you're thinking.

I'll phrase it this way: the MTM Hydro foam lance that I purchased elsewhere comes with a 1/4" quick connect, and that works seamlessly with the Greenworks 1700 PSI pressure washer wand that comes with the unit.

I was only talking about the male part of the connect in the link I sent, so if you're saying the 1/4 that comes with yours fits to the connect that comes with the greenworks, then I think what I was told is wrong. Good to know, cuz I was just going to buy that 3/8 one. I'd really like to get the quick connect, it's such a pain switching back and forth between the wand and foam cannon...

Can you guys speak to what kind of damage you would expect to see with the higher pressure outside of actually stripping paint or damaging the actual panels on the car? at 1700psi (although 1.4 gpm is kind of low) I've gotten pretty close up on my car with the both the 40 and 25 degree fans, and I haven't noticed any damage at all. It also cleaned ok, but not super impressive. The other day I had about maybe 2-3 days out of the week worth of dirt and water spots from rain, and after using a foam cannon, light pressure from wash mitt, and the pressure washer, I could still notice a some dusty raindrops on there. That was kind of disappointing, but it's also possible I just need to learn better technique, since I'm kind of new to this.

kevincwelch
06-29-2013, 07:36 PM
At 1700psi (although 1.4 gpm is kind of low) I've gotten pretty close up on my car with the both the 40 and 25 degree fans, and I haven't noticed any damage at all. It also cleaned ok, but not super impressive. The other day I had about maybe 2-3 days out of the week worth of dirt and water spots from rain, and after using a foam cannon, light pressure from wash mitt, and the pressure washer, I could still notice a some dusty raindrops on there. That was kind of disappointing, but it's also possible I just need to learn better technique, since I'm kind of new to this.

I've been using the turbo attachment (the one that sprays in a rotating pattern). I've been happy with that one. It does the wheel wells very nicely and gets the bulky stuff off the base trim and side panels pretty well.