PDA

View Full Version : CTS-V Aluminum Wheels Help

chosenone
06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Getting ready to do a full detail job on my Black CTS V. First question is are these polished aluminum wheels. I know picture is bad buts its all I had on my computer. I am going to completely remove the wheels and tires so I can clean all the Caliper and brakes as well as the backside of rims. I would like do some swirl removal on my rims. I plan on using a Random Orbital Buffer "Griots" and some swirl remover and polish. Anybody have any tips or words of caution or advice on rims. Am I going to hurt them by doing this? Not sure if these are cleared or just polished aluminum or what. I know they arent chrome. They just have these fine hazy swirls all over them.

sproketser
06-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Great ride in there fella! You ll have some help on these , I wonder if they are clear coated as well .

chosenone
06-27-2013, 05:22 PM
I just did some digging and found out they are clear coated. So what steps would I need to take to make sure I dont ruin the clear while removing the hazy fine scratches using my Griots RO?

ScottB
06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
They are indeed clear coated, treat as paint !

chosenone
06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Ok so I went after my rims last night with my Griots RO with some TSR and an Orange Pad. Made the rims look better but still has a bunch of fine swirly scratches. Any ideas or a different product that would be better?

zmcgovern45
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
It is possible that the defects you are seeing are in the metal itself and not in the clear coat. It is rare that the factory finish of the metal is perfect, in this case you would have to remove the clear coat finish and polish the actual metal to improve the finish... I just worked on a Chevy Camaro with polished aluminum wheels and the wheels looked terrible, but I found that it was truly the metal finish left by the factory and not the clear coat.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1016605_265460930258700_462064551_n.jpg

chosenone
06-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Yep my rims look like the picture above. See the attachment
So I guess I just have to be happy.

GenesisCoupe
06-28-2013, 04:06 PM
^ What do you use for your tires? Olive oil? suppper shiny and oily..try a water based product, imo it will look better and more "luxurious".

chosenone
06-28-2013, 04:44 PM
You know I have yet to find a tire dressing that I like. I admit that these are a little greasy but the other dressings I have used seem to always still look brownish after your apply them. I want a dressing that basically looks true black. I am just trying to use the last of this stuff. Its called Sanctiond Tire Glaze. Smells good but thats about it. I originally got it for my lifted truck that had 37 inch tires on it. When your spread it over a large tire it looked a lot better but on the low profiles you basically get a oily wet look. Any suggestions on a dressing that is non sling and will give me a true black look on a clean tire?

zmcgovern45
06-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Try Optimum Opti-Bond tire gel... it is one of my favorites. It is a water based dressing, so it is safe for the rubber and actually works to nourish the rubber and keep it looking nice after continued use. You can apply one coat for a matte, clean look or several coats for a glossy look. It is relatively inexpensive too.

GenesisCoupe
06-28-2013, 09:15 PM
You know I have yet to find a tire dressing that I like. I admit that these are a little greasy but the other dressings I have used seem to always still look brownish after your apply them. I want a dressing that basically looks true black. I am just trying to use the last of this stuff. Its called Sanctiond Tire Glaze. Smells good but thats about it. I originally got it for my lifted truck that had 37 inch tires on it. When your spread it over a large tire it looked a lot better but on the low profiles you basically get a oily wet look. Any suggestions on a dressing that is non sling and will give me a true black look on a clean tire?

I use Poorboy's and i absolutely love it, I don't know if you can tell from my avatar but that's the look you get, and it has never once left my tire brown like other products did.

Poorboy's World Bold 'N Bright Tire Dressing Gel, tire shine, tire protectant, Poorboys bold and bright tire gel (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-tire-dressing-gel.html)