PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a few scratches

MikeN
06-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Hey fellow Geeks,

I am looking for some advice on how you would attact repairing these scratches on the front of a 2012 Challenger
Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
06-26-2013, 08:55 PM
It's hard to tell how deep those are from the picture. Do they have that white appearance because it's transfer from whatever the car scraped against? Or is it the scratched clearcoat that appears white? Or is that primer? Or substrate?

If it's one of the first two you should be able to polish it out so it's much less noticeable. If that's primer or bumper in the bottom of the scratch, you're going to need some touchup paint.

MikeN
06-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Thank you, I'm not too sure how deep they are I'm not seeing the vehicle until Saturday I did tell the guy that we may have to use touch up paint and polish it out and he was fine with that I was just wondering if there were any other options (didn't really think there were but figured it was worth posting)

Hazcat
06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Clean it and try claying it off if it's paint transfer. Then polish it out to see if it needs touch up paint. That's about all the advice I can give from the picture. I guess you'll know when you get your hands on it. Best of luck and post updates when it's delivered. I'd enjoy watching the transformation.

Setec Astronomy
06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
It really doesn't look that bad, just be careful polishing, those plastic bumpers don't dissipate heat like a metal panel and if you overheat it the paint will just come off in globs. Work in short bursts and keep the pad moving, check frequently with your hand how hot the surface is and let it cool off if it feels hot.

Paul A.
06-27-2013, 05:16 AM
Perfect advice Setec...thanks. I have slightly "burned" through 2 plastic panels (mine and the wife's...never a customer). The first time was a rookie mistake...the second? Pure idiocy...i knew better! Plastic panels are very susceptible to heat build up and be careful folks. Both of my burn throughs were being overly aggressive with a rotary and 3.5" pads with a speed probably too high. I now stick to my random orbital machine and slower speeds and simply play with pressure, passes and product.

For the OP, those look correctable if not too deep.

MikeN
06-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you all know how it comes out this weekend.

erichaley
06-27-2013, 06:39 AM
FWIW, M105/M205 on Meguiar's MF pads did an excellent job at pulling out some scuffs and scratches on my bumper. Start with the M205 first and then step up to the M105 if that doesn't work.

MikeN
06-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Just wanted to give you guys a quick update on the job. The scratches were actually worse then what the picture showed. I was able to clean up the damage and scuff marks and it looks allot better. There was a decent amout of damage to the bumper besides that so he is making the decision to eventually replace the bumper. He was however extremely happy with the detail. 1941519415