PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Polisher/Sander. What pads?

Pages : [1] 2

JohnMcD348
06-26-2013, 06:34 PM
I just bought the PC 7346, which is the 7424 only coming with the sanding pad also. I have the 1 white polishing pad with it. I am assuming it is meant to be used by placing a bonnet over it and not use the actual foam pad itself.

I've looked at different pads but don't really know enough to buy the right ones. Prior to this, all the years, I've used a orbital 9-10inch "polisher" I bought from Sears many years ago. So, needless to say, I need an education. I've started reading the posts and threads from Mike Phillips so I can at least get a clue.

Enough about me, now about the vehicle. What I'm doing is an 08 Dodge Ram Megacab that has had a previous application of the "Paint Protector" by the dealership. I have waxed it about a year ago and really haven't done a lot to it since other than running it through the occasional brushless car washes. Aside from needing to wash it, the paint is still in good shape with only a few scratches and the headlights are beginning to show signs of hazing. There is some swirling all over the paint due to my ineptitude and ignorance with my old Sears orbital.

The products I typically use are Meguiar's and Mothers since they are easily obtainable locally.

What type pads do I need to buy for my polisher? Either ones that screw into the polisher or ones that fit over the provided pad.

Anything else that needs to be added, I'm open to any input and information.

Thanks

hernandez.art13
06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
What color is your Dodge? And post pictures of your concerns.

If you do headlights your going to have to go up to 3000 grit.

I'll let others chime in from here.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Wheelzntoys
06-26-2013, 07:18 PM
That might need a smaller counterweight

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html

beamerstrumpet
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
:iagree: I would also recomend just buying Mikes book. its a great referance to keep around. I am brand new to this also. read Mikes book from cover to cover. also watch every Junkman2000 vid on you tube. The AG and CB vids are also great.

hernandez.art13
06-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Ammo - Drive Clean, is also a great show

Hazcat
06-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I like MF pads and LLC Smart pads but there's a huge variance on what people use. It seems we all have a couple of favorites we grab most of the time.

JohnMcD348
06-27-2013, 05:50 AM
OK, well, where can I find out what pads are what? There are so many different ones , even from the same manufacturer, I don't know which ones are used for what purpose. I would assume the Coarse or cutting pads are for heavy cleaning of something like a badly hazed paint job and the polishing would be for the wax job. There are so many others in between I have no idea what pads I should get and when to use them.

I never used the foam pads before.

DogRescuer
06-27-2013, 05:58 AM
Hi I bought the set of 3 pads with a new 5" BP and they are:

Blue (cayan)=cutting
Orange=polishing
Red= finishing
also read read read alot on THIS forum they are good.

Evan.J
06-27-2013, 07:08 AM
This should help:

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buffing-pad-chart-lc.htm)

JohnMcD348
06-27-2013, 04:55 PM
thanks

the deta
06-27-2013, 05:29 PM
I recommend the meguiars soft buff pads 6.5" with 5" backing plate (hook and look) or velcro if you didn't now hook and loop these are real cheap and easy to find on the store portion of the autogeek buffer pads and (plates) page< good luck

JohnMcD348
06-29-2013, 11:35 AM
OK, I kinda decided on the Lake Country 6.5" pads, going on a LC 6" backer.

Now my problem is, I have no idea which types I should get. I see Flat, CCS Waffle Pro. What's the difference, benefit, Pros/Cons of one style over the other? I know I won't need any of the harsher pads, Probably just the White, Blue and Black ones. I'm not fighting oxidation of heavy swirl marks on my paint. Probably the worst thing I've got to deal with are the chrome bumpers and steps on my truck and that's more dirt/grime than anything.

Thanks

mikesal57
06-30-2013, 07:14 AM
From what I watched and read....

Just like there are 3 categories of products ( compounds, polishes, waxes )
you need the basic pads for each..a orange, white, red

Lake Country is most said around here

mike

ski2
06-30-2013, 07:22 AM
You should really be considering a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. The PC isn't the most powerfull machine and the smaller pads make it more effective. Also, you'll save some money each time you buy pads as the 5.5" are less expensive. Do a little searching here and you'll find that the smaller pads are prefered with the PC.

swanicyouth
06-30-2013, 07:50 AM
You should really be considering a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. The PC isn't the most powerfull machine and the smaller pads make it more effective. Also, you'll save some money each time you buy pads as the 5.5" are less expensive. Do a little searching here and you'll find that the smaller pads are prefered with the PC.

+1. That machine requires 5.5" pads for sure. You have a couple choices:

LC Hydrotech: buff nice, the theory is, they are "closed cell foam" so water soluble liquids don't absorb as fast / as much. Not as durable as other pads, but buying is simple - only 3 types (2 if you skip the "wax" pad).

LC Flat Pads: just a basic flat pad.

LC CCS (Smart pads or High Gloss): Same as flat pads, but "dimples" on the face hold little pockets polish. Maybe just a gimmick, makes a minor difference if any.

Meg's Pads: don't come in 5.5" for some reason.

Microfiber Pads: make heavy defect removal much faster.

LC Cool Wave Pads: Don't think they sell those heat yet. They have a small egg-crate like texture on them to keep them cool. I like these.

To keep it simple, just get Hydrotechs.