PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a Defelsko?

rms64
06-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if I can justify the cost of a Defelsko PTG in the near future. I have a concern about "going too far" with my BMW and obviously this would go a long way towards easing those concerns, or confirming them. I feel like I am at or near the point of "living with" certain defects but also in the back of my mind would like to try to do better. Also, I seem to be getting fine scratches in my paint, likely caused by my technique which I am always looking to improve. I am just worried about doing damage that can't be undone.

Additionally, I've started to work on cars for friends / family and certainly don't want to do anything stupid. I know there are less expensive options out there - any thoughts from the group about just sucking it up and getting one of these to hopefully eliminate some of the doubts?

Any feedback very much appreciated!

Evan.J
06-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Did you happen to see te article Zach did on the knock off version which is accurate and cheep?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/61505-cm8801fn-paint-thickness-gauge-affordable-everyone.html

rms64
06-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Did you happen to see te article Zach did on the knock off version which is accurate and cheep?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/61505-cm8801fn-paint-thickness-gauge-affordable-everyone.html

Thanks Evan, I'll take a look. Knock-offs always scare me a litte, big fan of getting what you pay for, but the Defelskos are indeed pricey. :dunno:

FUNX650
06-26-2013, 06:05 PM
-Good for you on contemplating this step forward in your detailing-processes. :props:

-An EPTG is an exceptional, as well as a professional tool to have.
Especially the ones that DeFelsko offers, IMO!

-Takes some practice to learn how to "properly read" the thicknesses (of paint-films) that EPTG's provide.

Sure...Ones budget does come into play when purchasing an EPTG...
But...Often re-sprays' costs will be the baseline figure some folks use as a comparative.

:)

Bob

rms64
06-26-2013, 06:09 PM
-Good for you on contemplating this step forward in your detailing-processes. :props:

-An EPTG is an exceptional, as well as a professional tool to have.
Especially the ones that DeFelsko offers, IMO!

-Takes some practice to learn how to "properly read" the thicknesses (of paint-films) that EPTG's provide.

Sure...Ones budget does come into play when purchasing an EPTG...
But...Often re-sprays' costs will be the baseline figure some folks use as a comparative.

:)

Bob

Bob, thanks for the great feedback. I'm pretty much sold on the idea, just looking for that little push over the edge, I guess. :props:

Evan.J
06-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Ill tell you that I'm getting the "knock" off seems pretty good IMO. I'm sure Zach will chime in with his input on the long term use of the one but for the price certainly makes you look at it.

rms64
06-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Ill tell you that I'm getting the "knock" off seems pretty good IMO. I'm sure Zach will chime in with his input on the long term use of the one but for the price certainly makes you look at it.

Evan, definitely. I'm at the point where I know I need to do "something"...it's just a matter of what to spend.:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Bob, thanks for the great feedback.

You're welcome!

I'm pretty much sold on the idea, just looking for that little push over the edge, I guess.
OK then...Here you go:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/overtheedge.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/60833)

:D

Bob

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Rob, Im in the same boat as you and I wholeheartedly believe in "you get what you pay for".

So I will wait a bit longer and buy the real deal and not a knock off tool...

rms64
06-26-2013, 06:23 PM
LOL Bob, I knew I could count on you! (And always enjoy your posts - a terrific part of the AG community, you are!)