PDA

View Full Version : Can't get a Cyril fence off!

Edse30
06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Long story short:
I convince a friend/acquaintance to let me help recondition his repossessed cars in order to sell them quicker. He gives me a shot on a 05 Honda Pilot. I drive it home, put it in park while I move my car out of the way to start detailing.
Somehow it goes into drive and it goes through a vynil fence. There are marks everywhere but no dents, what a relief! Not really, I can't get it off. I started with D151on Orange and Makita. Nothing. Step up to fg400 on yellow and Makita. Paint is correcting beautifully buy the white marks are still there.
Will I.have to sand it? Maybe the vinyl is still too fresh?
Any help is super appreciated.
I know you (Mike) have experience working on a black Pilot.
Thanks! !!!
Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Edse30
06-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Oops, title should say 'Vinyl'

Any input?

Pureshine
06-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Have you got pictures?

VroomVroom
06-25-2013, 10:50 PM
^ That. Stupid question...you're sure the damage is *on* the finish, and not *through* it?

Edse30
06-26-2013, 12:13 AM
^ That. Stupid question...you're sure the damage is *on* the finish, and not *through* it?

Pics are in my Nikon, I'll try to snap some on my phone to upload. Some areas started to almost peel off, meaning the white vinyl was coming off on its own. A little rubbing with the finger and it came off but only in a few spots.
Fortunetly, it's just white transfer and no dents at all on the paint but it's all over the car. Every panel has white lines on it even windshield, windows and tires.
Spoke to the owner of the fence that I took out and he was real nice, just wants me to pay for the fence repair which I'm obviously going to do.
Now I gotta detail a bunch of cars to pay for this mishap. Oh well, could've been worse.

oldmodman
06-26-2013, 02:11 AM
I never leave a running car alone.

I don't trust shift cables, parking pawls, and so on.

But it could have been much worse.

You could have been in front of the car and there could have been a concrete wall in front of you.

VroomVroom
06-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Glad to hear it comes off with elbow grease. Maybe try a clay bar you were otherwise ready to throw away? Or some bug & tar remover, adhesive remover, mineral spirits, etc.? Good luck....