PDA

View Full Version : Educated Meguiars Users

Becciasm
06-25-2013, 07:05 PM
It is pretty much common knowledge that

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, spray wax, synthetic spray wax, quick wax, meguiars quick spray wax, paint protectant, liquid wax, meguires, meguiars car (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-spray-wax.html)

is pretty much the consumer version of

Meguiars Synthetic X-press Spray Wax, X-press car wax, Meguiars X-press spray liquid wax, D156 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-xpress-spray-wax.html)..

I used this today

Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus+ Quik Wax, spray wax, car wax spray (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-carnauba-plus-quik-wax.html)

To me, there was virtually no difference between this and ultimate quik wax. Easy on. Easy off. No streaks. No smears. No mess on trim.

Please educate me on what the difference is between the gold class line and the ultimate/detailers line... is one more 'carnauba' based, one more synthetic based?

I like both products. so its' not a matter of one over the other. Just curious.

Setec Astronomy
06-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Ha ha, I was just looking at that Gold Class in Wal-Mart over the weekend and wondering how it was different than UQW.

Becciasm
06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
as far as application goes, and final shine, it was hard for me to tell apart.

Which is a good thing, i think. but are they 'truly' different products?

Chris's FX4
06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
The one time I've used my bottle of Gold Class QW was on my mom's car which is a red fire metallic, a dark red. It seemed to darken the paint a little and gave a warm wet look/shine. Compared to when using D156 which gives me that in your face pop/gloss shine you'd get when using a sealant. Don't know how long the GCQW lasted.

I noticed the same difference in shine/look on my red truck when I used Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax compared to Ultimte Liquid Wax.

I guess the way I see it is that Gold Class gives the warm carnauba look, while Ultimate gives the wet glossy coating sealant look. Just my take from what I've seen.

FUNX650
06-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Here's a couple of 'possible-differences' between these two Meguiar's spray "waxes":

D156...
-Has no carnuba wax
-Utilizes the trademarked: Hydrophobic Polymer Technology
-Can be used on wet or dry surfaces
-Doesn't dry white on plastic trim*
-Can be used in the sun**
-VOC Free

G77...
-Gives the dark, wet-look carnuba wax is renowned for
-Best used on dry surfaces
-Won't leave white residue on plastic trim*
-Can be used on warm surfaces in direct sunlight**

Also:
-Price points
-Container-sizes availability

Now to befuddle the issue:
I wonder what, if any, differences there are between any of the above spray "waxes"
and Meguiar's NXT line-up's spray "wax".

:)

Bob

Setec Astronomy
06-26-2013, 07:44 AM
I wonder what, if any, differences there are between any of the above spray "waxes"

I'm sure there are large differences, because people actually seem to like those other spray waxes.

Becciasm
06-26-2013, 07:47 AM
The one time I've used my bottle of Gold Class QW was on my mom's car which is a red fire metallic, a dark red. It seemed to darken the paint a little and gave a warm wet look/shine. Compared to when using D156 which gives me that in your face pop/gloss shine you'd get when using a sealant. Don't know how long the GCQW lasted.

I noticed the same difference in shine/look on my red truck when I used Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax compared to Ultimte Liquid Wax.

I guess the way I see it is that Gold Class gives the warm carnauba look, while Ultimate gives the wet glossy coating sealant look. Just my take from what I've seen.

Here's a couple of 'possible-differences' between these two Meguiar's spray "waxes":

D156...
-Has no carnuba wax
-Utilizes the trademarked: Hydrophobic Polymer Technology
-Can be used on wet or dry surfaces
-Doesn't dry white on plastic trim*
-Can be used in the sun**
-VOC Free

G77...
-Gives the dark, wet-look carnuba wax is renowned for
-Best used on dry surfaces
-Won't leave white residue on plastic trim*
-Can be used on warm surfaces in direct sunlight**

Also:
-Price points
-Container-sizes availability

Bob

Both excellent answers. Thank you! so mostly it is the 'carnauba' vs 'synthetic' looks that will differ. Price points are about the same, availability is nearly the same - both OTC at various retailers. Durability is relatively the same - not long, HA! :) great for weekly after washes or drying aids though, imho.

I've not had a chance to use NXT spray wax. I have NXT 2.0 Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax is unlike any other car wax! Tech Wax, a synthetic, scientifically engineered paint sealant, is an alternative to (http://www.autogeek.net/mg12718.html) but that's not the same type product.

Becciasm
06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm sure there are large differences, because people actually seem to like those other spray waxes.

Setec Astronomy
06-26-2013, 08:01 AM
I've not had a chance to use NXT spray wax. I have NXT 2.0 but that's not the same type product.

OMG you don't want to! I know when Mike Phillips worked at Meg's he wrote a tutorial on how to get the best results from it...but that's kind of like trying to get the best results from Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. Almost anything today is better, trust me, you really don't need the data point. The only good thing about it is the NXT smell, and I mean the only good thing.

Becciasm
06-26-2013, 08:11 AM
OMG you don't want to! I know when Mike Phillips worked at Meg's he wrote a tutorial on how to get the best results from it...but that's kind of like trying to get the best results from Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. Almost anything today is better, trust me, you really don't need the data point. The only good thing about it is the NXT smell, and I mean the only good thing.

Haha noted. Thank you!

Sent from my VS840 4G using AG Online