PDA

View Full Version : Which pad for an AIO?

DogRescuer
06-25-2013, 06:53 PM
I have my first AIO product coming and I need some help deciding which pad to use for it I have:

GG Polisher
Orange Pad
Red Pad
Meg d151
So polishing or finishing?

cleanmycorolla
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
White, Green or black depending on your paint at least that's what I use with AIO's for what I do...

D_Nyholm
06-25-2013, 07:07 PM
I too use white or pink. White does the job on 90% though I bet you can get more cut with an orange but with more chance of marring. I have only had luck using orange and d151 on one car.

Becciasm
06-25-2013, 07:10 PM
white or black. white if i'm looking for a bit more bite for a one-step.

want to try pink flat pads though. havne't yet tried orange.

glen e
06-25-2013, 07:13 PM
white Cool wave LC pad.....

Calendyr
06-25-2013, 07:39 PM
So no yellow hum? :)

I have yet to try an AIO, can't wait to use one and see the results. For you guys who use it a lot, how does it compare to a multi-step polishing process? Would you say the defects are well concealed or still pretty obvious to the trained eye?

Dogfather
06-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I have my first AIO product coming and I need some help deciding which pad to use for it I have:

GG Polisher
Orange Pad
Red Pad
Meg d151
So polishing or finishing?

If I'm correct in assuming you have the Griot's orange and red pads, I believe they recommend using the orange. At least they do with their AIO. You may want to consider picking up a 5" BP and a few 5.5 in. pads. LC white flats work well with an AIO.

D_Nyholm
06-25-2013, 08:14 PM
So no yellow hum? :)

I have yet to try an AIO, can't wait to use one and see the results. For you guys who use it a lot, how does it compare to a multi-step polishing process? Would you say the defects are well concealed or still pretty obvious to the trained eye?

It depends on what you are starting with. On my own car, I am able to get away with an AIO and get a nearly flawless finish because of the condition it is in.

On some of the thrashed customer cars, the AIO will basically remove the fine scratches and the dullness to the paint. It will not remove any deeper defects unless you do multiple passes. It is one of those things that the paint will look awesome from 5 feet away, but if you get up close to it or know what you are looking for, you will still see the defects.

inDetail
06-25-2013, 08:57 PM
It depends on the AIO and the paint. I am currently using Menzerna Acrylic Jacket until it's gone then switch it up. I corrected up to 80% of RIDS in a Honda Oddyssey with an orange hex logic pad 1 long pass. (Thanks for the tip guys.)Yes it's soft paint the Menzerna does have a good cut to it and a long work time. The paint finished out without any hazing crisp and shiny. Client loved it. So keep in mind with an AIO your depending more on the pad then the AIO. AIO's can only correct so much until they flash out. Run your test. Prime well and clean often.

D_Nyholm
06-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Also, keep in mind that you can correct anything with an AIO and a single pad, but the number of passes needed to do so may just be too time consuming. When I do a production one step detail, I explain to the customer that typically it will remove up to 75% of the light defects in the paint and will lighten or hide many of the deeper inperfections in the paint. Long, deep scratches would require a separate compounding or wetsanding step to remove them before the use of an AIO.

Of course, I am only spending about 2.5-3 hours polishing out a vehicle on a one step polish (one section will involve about 3 passes over the same area), so if you are going to be spending 8 hours polishing out a vehicle with a one step polish, you will get much better results, but your time would be better spent using a more aggressive polish/pad first and then following up with an AIO or a finishing polish.

dlc95
06-25-2013, 09:30 PM
So far it's been Lake Country's green ccs pad. I've also used the white with great results. Both were used with Meguiars #66. The green on my 03 Monte Carlo, and the white on my gf's 03 Canyon. My car was repainted before I bought it, and has really soft paint. Her truck has really tough paint.

silverfox
06-26-2013, 04:39 PM
MF finishing pad or Lake country HT tangerine pad always work great for me.