PDA

View Full Version : hello and a few q's from dc

zeak
06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi-
Been lurking here and just joined after buying a new 3 series sedan. i have a few questions:

Are there any important steps to take immediately after buying a new car as prevention. I'm thinking of things like clear bra or other steps to minimize future damage.

Also, as much as I like to DIY, I know my limits. Does anybody know any really good detailers in the DC?MD or northern VA? Thanks!

Bill1234
06-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Do not buy the clear bra, waste of money, thats what dealers sell to make money, also, you would be suprised what you can do by yourself

c8n
06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Have you taken delivery of your car?
#1 would be not to let the dealer prep your car

ken tuep
06-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I live and work on Andrews afb in Maryland. I also detail part time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

FUNX650
06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Hi and...:welcome:...to AGO!!!

Having a clear bra (PPF) installed...as soon as possible after purchasing a vehicle...
by an independent & certified PPF installer ...is a most wise decision in protecting the front clip of a vehicle...IMHO.

If I may...I'll suggest XPel for said clear-bra PPF.

You also may want to look into covering more than the front clip.
I did. And I'm extremely glad for doing so.

NOTE:
V.T. is a Great! D.C.-area detailer: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/vegas-transplant.html
Heads-up: Come to think of it...He may be currently involved in another project, though.

:)

Bob

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Welcome to AGO and congrats on the purchase of the 3 series.

Evan.J
06-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Welcome to the forum!

zeak
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
thanks all.
I already took delivery of the car and didn't let the dealer do anything to it. I'm already getting conflicting opinions re clearbra on this site and will keep researching. If there's anything else you highly recommend at the outset for a new car beyond regular maintenance i'd love to hear it. Again, if anyone knows of reliable detailers around here, let me know.

Mike Phillips
06-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Hi Zeak,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

As to your questions...

Clear bras will protect the front of your car from rock chips and bug spatter etchings but they will scratch and swirl easier than your car's paint. So if you get one, touch it very carefully and when I use the word "touch" that means whatever you touch it with and however you touch it, i.e. washing and drying.

If you're looking for a detailer in your home town, start a dedicated thread with a title that tells people you're looking for detailer in your hometown.

Right now the title to your thread says,

hello and a few q's from dc

Most people like me scan the "Recent Threads" on the homepage and judge whether or not to click on a thread by the title.

Write a good and appropriate title and you'll get a lot of good replies. Don't wrote a good title and your thread will sink into oblivion.

Same goes for questions about clear bras or anything. A thread with a title that reads,

I have questions about clear bras

Would get you more replies about clear bras than a thread with a title like,

hello and a few q's from dc

Hope this helps.... forums are powerful but you can help yourself to get more and better answers by tweaking your forum technique.

:xyxthumbs:

vet
06-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Welcome!

GS2011
06-26-2013, 08:02 AM

Chris's FX4
06-26-2013, 08:09 AM

Kyle_Elantra
06-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Welcome to AG! I'm relatively new here too.

I live in Frederick, MD. If you need anything - shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to detail your car but I think (since you joined this forum) that you'd enjoy learning as well, and I'd be happy to work with you.

Becciasm
06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Welcome to AG! I'm relatively new here too.

I live in Frederick, MD. If you need anything - shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to detail your car but I think (since you joined this forum) that you'd enjoy learning as well, and I'd be happy to work with you.

If you are free this weekend, and the weather holds, check out the NOVA team detail thread. Praying that the weather holds. Short notice, but we're getting together to detail and learn and share tips, experiences, etc

Sent from my VS840 4G using AG Online

sproketser
06-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Welcome aboard .