PDA

View Full Version : Paint Repairs.

superman22x
06-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, sorry if it's not. Anyway, I'm new and looking for a little advice on some paint repair.
I've got two spots on my car I would like to fix. This car has 155k miles, so it doesn't need to be a perfect fix. Just want to keep it from getting worse really. The first is about a nickel size chip on my rear quarter. Might have been dinged by a door before I owned the car, it has a divet in the center. The other spot is some rust in the badge area.

I'm not sure touch up paint would work so well here?
The other thing is, the paint is pearl white, and I'm not sure if I can buy that in a spray can. Its such a small project, I don't think a body shop would really be interested, but I don't really know.

Anyway, if anyone has some advice, that would be awesome!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/21/5e6yra2e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/21/e7y6ebap.jpg

Setec Astronomy
06-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Griot's has a nice little tool for derusting spots for touchup, it's like a pen with fiberglass coming out of the end, although that spot on the wheel arch could also be done with sandpaper.

I'm sure there are some chip touchup threads here, but what you need to do is remove the rust, either prime or convert the exposed metal, then go over it with your touchup paint.

As far as that rust behind the badge, I don't think you're going to be able to fix that without removing the badge. Sometimes those are stick-on, and sometimes they are pinned on. Do you know which it is? Does anyone on the Infiniti forum know?

VroomVroom
06-25-2013, 08:50 PM
FWIW, I'm almost positive that badge has two pins, with associated (grommeted) holes in the trunk lid.

You may well be surprised what a body shop would charge for this...it's worth a call or two. I'm not sure where you are geographically, but at this time of year, when the weather is nice, folks aren't getting into accidents. This means body shops are running lean, and often looking for work. Offer cash, and you might get pro-quality work at a really reasonable price. Obviously, match that with your expectations and your budget. Another option are the mobile paint/body folks, who specialize in this exact kind of stuff. Might be worth checking craigslist and yelp in your area to see who's out there. Good luck...

superman22x
06-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I think it's a stick on badge. I'm just not sure what bodyshops are good and bad in my area. I live in Dearborn, MI for now.