PDA

View Full Version : Need leather conditioner for uncoated, perforated leather

The Critic
06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
I just installed a set of Clazzio leather seat covers into my daily-driver Prius. Per the manufacturer, these covers have uncoated, perforated leather seating inserts (with vinyl on all other areas).

I am looking for a leather conditioner to use on these seats. Many leather conditioners are of a white lotion like consistency, which could be problematic for the holes on the perforated surfaces.

Can anyone recommend a leather protectant that would be appropriate for uncoated leather, and does not leave white stuff in the holes? Based on my research, the only one that I have found is Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner.

Thanks!

Andr3wilson
06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Polish Angel Bellaclean to clean and condition, Charisma to condition. I have tried everything from Lexol to Swissvax and these are my favourite.

Setec Astronomy
06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Well, UIGP or Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant are going to be the obvious choices for not leaving anything in the holes. Sonus Leather conditioner is also good.

EDIT: Apparently this is not a good suggestion--see below.

mg6045
06-24-2013, 05:15 PM
DONT use wolfgang cockpit sealant or Ultima interior gaurd plus on natural uncoated leather. I ruined a pair of my girlfriends boots with interior gaurd plus... Go with Leather Masters Protection cream. When dealing with perforated holes the technique i always the same. apply the product to a cloth. blot it into the cloth or applicator, then apply. Leather Master protection cream is very liquid and easy to use like this on a MF applicator or towel.

ScottB
06-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Conollys Hide Food.....

The Critic
06-24-2013, 05:39 PM
DONT use wolfgang cockpit sealant or Ultima interior gaurd plus on natural uncoated leather. I ruined a pair of my girlfriends boots with interior gaurd plus... Go with Leather Masters Protection cream. When dealing with perforated holes the technique i always the same. apply the product to a cloth. blot it into the cloth or applicator, then apply. Leather Master protection cream is very liquid and easy to use like this on a MF applicator or towel.
Thanks. I'll have to research this or Conolly's Hide Food later tonight.

I just read a post over on the Meguiar's forum regarding the 2010 edition of the Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner products. There are apparently four different products, and only the "pump gel" version (G17914) is appropriate for use on perforated leather. Given the price at Walmart, I may have to check this one out as well:

Gold Class Rich Leather Lotion/Gel/Spray (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?41045-Gold-Class-Rich-Leather-Lotion-Gel-Spray&p=395277&viewfull=1#post395277)

The Critic
06-25-2013, 01:08 AM
OK, I wanted to apply something on the covers right away, so I purchased some Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner gel from WM. The part # is G17914, and it comes in a lotion bottle type dispenser with a pump.

This stuff is clear, so it did not stain the perforated holes. I did two treatments, and the uncoated leather inserts (and the vinyl in the surrounding areas) feel significantly softer. The color is also a bit darker.

I must say that I am fairly impressed with this product, and even more so considering that it was only $6.