PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Polishing

RandyD
06-24-2013, 11:20 AM
My son has a 2010 Black Subaru. It has never been polished and I assume there is some marring in the paint. I am not sure because he lives 1000 miles away. I plan on working on his car when I go there in a few weeks. I know Subaru has soft paint. My question is what polish and pad combo would you use. I currently have Meguiars 205, Menzerna 4500, Chemical Guys V36 and Optimum Polish II. Are any of these good for (lets assume) minor paint correction on a Subaru. Should pad be White, black, Red? Does orange have too much cut for Subaru Paint. Thanks!

TimmyG
06-24-2013, 11:36 AM
I'd hit it with a white pad and M205 for your test spot and go from there. Subaru is notorious for ridiculously soft paint. Make sure you have ple lighting as well.

lawrenceSA
06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
I did a Java black Subaru a while back and found the paint to be very soft. I used SF4000 on a black Menzerna finishing pad using a PC.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/60312-java-black-pearl-subaru-impreza-wrx-detailed-lawrence.html

I have also come across quite a few posts on the forum where people have mentioned that SF4000 will finish off better than 205 on softer paint.

I would do a test spot starting with a finishing polish and pad combo and slowly work up from there is terms of 'aggressiveness' until you find a combo that provides enough cut.

You may very well need to 'come back' to a finishing combo to get it perfect, if that is what you are after.

Chemical guys Blacklight worked on a DA at around speed 3 on a finishing pad should work a treat as a last step before LSP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BillE
06-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Wife's car is a black Subaru, that paint will show defects from just looking at it. But, in the same vain being so soft it corrects very quickly and easy.

The 'least aggressive first' axiom is a truism with this paint.

Bill

RandyD
06-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your help everyone!