PDA

View Full Version : Pad Conditioning Sprays

mavin
06-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Is there anything to these foam pad conditioners? They say to use a spray prior to priming with your compound. The labels note that you can also use it as a QD or clay lube...so cant you just do the reverse?

I already have many products that can be diluted to use as a QD, including Megs QD, DP wash n gloss and ONR, is there any point in buying a dedicated pad conditioning product?

Thanks!

swanicyouth
06-24-2013, 08:30 AM
I use the WG one every time. You probably could get away with detail spray just as well. But I wouldn't use waterless or rinseless washes (just me).

When I was a noob, I tried to polish the hood of my black BMW. I put pad marks all over it because it didn't prime the pad. I came crying on the AG forum, and someone HELPED me here and told me how to prime a pad and spray it with detail spray.

I wish I could find that post. Ever since then I've always used a dedicated pad spray or detail spray.

Ryry11
06-24-2013, 08:36 AM
I use the WG one every time. You probably could get away with detail spray just as well. But I wouldn't use waterless or rinseless washes (just me).

When I was a noob, I tried to polish the hood of my black BMW. I put pad marks all over it because it didn't prime the pad. I came crying on the AG forum, and someone HELPED me here and told me how to prime a pad and spray it with detail spray.

I wish I could find that post. Ever since then I've always used a dedicated pad spray or detail spray.

I prime with a pad conditioner as well every time. I was recently wondering though, if you prime with a pad conditioner, do you still need to prime the pad with your polish or compound? By that I mean smear a thin layer over the entire pad?

mavin
06-24-2013, 08:53 AM

So is there actually something different in these pad conditioners than what is in a QD? I cant help but think they just slap a different label on the same product.

Nick McKees37
06-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Is there anything to these foam pad conditioners? They say to use a spray prior to priming with your compound. The labels note that you can also use it as a QD or clay lube...so cant you just do the reverse?

I already have many products that can be diluted to use as a QD, including Megs QD, DP wash n gloss and ONR, is there any point in buying a dedicated pad conditioning product?

Thanks!

Dedicated pad conditioners (ie: Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Conditioner) consist of special lubricants and nothing else. They don't have any gloss enhancers, wax protection, etc. You do not want waxes and other ingredients interfering with your compound or polish of choice. This makes a dedicated pad conditioner the obvious choice to condition pads.

I prime with a pad conditioner as well every time. I was recently wondering though, if you prime with a pad conditioner, do you still need to prime the pad with your polish or compound? By that I mean smear a thin layer over the entire pad?

In most cases it's not necessary to prime the pad with additional product after using the pad conditioner.

:dblthumb2: