PDA

View Full Version : Waxes - make sure to dry them to a haze before removing

duffthebluff
06-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Hello guys,

Just want to share my experience, 2 weeks ago i had the time to wax my daily driver with collinite 845. A really great wax, had it stayed for my car for almost 4 months before reapplying. Anyway 2 weeks ago i reapplied my collinite but I didnt wait for it to dry to a haze. I buffed it out too soon and just 2 weeks later, it's not beading water anymore. So i'll have to reapply them this weekend and I'll make sure to dry the wax to a haze. Lesson learned. :)

AutoHeed
06-24-2013, 03:29 AM
thanks for sharing. some waxes don't need to dry to a haze. CG butter wet wax and Pete's 53 are wax on wax off.

But most waxes apply dry to haze principal :)

c8n
06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
You also have to note the curing time.
After wiping off the wax, it really shouldn't get in contact with water for x number of hrs depending on the wax. It probably won't destroy the wax but I would assume it will diminish its durability to a certain degree.

cleanmycorolla
06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Actually some waxes shouldn't be left to haze. Usually the directions on the tub/bottle will let you know.

wdmaccord
06-24-2013, 02:34 PM
BF Midnight Sun is wipe on/wipe off also. I do try to keep my cars out of the rain for at least 12 hours after any sealant/wax.

SON1C
06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
there are many factors that can come into play, how did you prep the surface?

slimnib
06-24-2013, 04:03 PM
If you read the instruction on the bottle or container you will have you answer. Generally, real paste wax in a container is wipe on wipe off. Liquids, either wax or sealant require a haze to form before you wipe off.

But the answer is Read.

Flash Gordon
06-24-2013, 04:09 PM

And what are the temps/humidity

duffthebluff
06-25-2013, 01:56 AM

I prepped the surface just as normally as I would. Wash-clay-swirlx-glaze-sealant-wax. Oh by the way I added glaze in my step comparing to my previous work. Could that possibly contribute to the durability of the wax?

And what are the temps/humidity

It's relatively hot where I came from. But one thing to note is that it rained like 5 hours after I applied the wax. One thing to also note is that the successful application I had 4 months ago, it also rained just after I applied the wax.

sproketser
06-25-2013, 05:25 AM
Was the body hot also !

umi000
06-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Might have been the glaze - if it was any oily glaze, it will have kept the sealant from bonding the the paint, and hence affected durability for the sealant and the wax on top of it.

c8n
06-25-2013, 07:02 AM
I prepped the surface just as normally as I would. Wash-clay-swirlx-glaze-sealant-wax. Oh by the way I added glaze in my step comparing to my previous work. Could that possibly contribute to the durability of the wax?

It's relatively hot where I came from. But one thing to note is that it rained like 5 hours after I applied the wax. One thing to also note is that the successful application I had 4 months ago, it also rained just after I applied the wax.

My understanding is that some glaze does not play well with some LSP.

5.4 Shelby
06-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Glaze/Sealant/Wax. That is likely your problem. Some just dont bond to others. The glaze may not allow the sealant or the wax to bond. The sealant may not allow the wax to bond. Or none of them may be compatible and they all have come off.

I would prep the paint with IPA. Then try just the Collinte. See how it lasts. Then, next time try the sealant/wax combo and see if it makes a difference.

Honestly, you probably only need 1 or the other anyway. I think layering 1 product gives you better results than mixing 2 products.

duffthebluff
06-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Thank you very much for the input guys! Yeah will try to leave the glaze out. I was using Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish. I think it makes sense because I remembered I left my roof without the glaze and the roof is beading water. Will try to redo my application this coming weekend. Thanks a lot guys!