PDA

View Full Version : Is this everything I need for a "DIY Head Light Restoration Kit"?

Detailed Josh
06-23-2013, 10:32 PM
I want to add Head Light Restorations service along with detailing. Anyways I need to purchase things individually instead of a pre-made up "kit" as I plan on doing this over and over so buying one of those kits doesn't work out financially or needing the same stuff basically.

So does this sound like a good list:

3M 3" Disc Backing Plate (comes with various adaptors which I believe I can attach to my Porter 7424XP right?)
3M Clean Sanding 3 inch Disc Backing Plate Kit, 3M sanding disc backing plate with adapters, backing plate adapter kit, six hole sanding disc (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-clean-sanding-disc.html)

3" Interface pad to be used with the sanding paper

Buying 3M 3" sanding papers:

Then using the same 3M Disc 3" backing plate attach the 4" Lake Country Spot Buffing Pads for compounding/polishing:
Spot Buffing 4 inch pads, Lake country 4 inch pads, 4 inch foam pads, 4 inch ccs pads, ccs foam pads (http://www.autogeek.net/4inch-spot-buffs.html)

Orange Pad with Meguiars #105
Gray Pad (looks black to me...) with Meguiars #205
Any other pads/finishing done to get the best results?

End with Opti-Lens for UV protection.

Will this work, and everything I need? I want to know before ordering.

Detailing by M
06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
that looks like it'll work!

wdmaccord
06-23-2013, 11:53 PM
I would start with 1500 grit and work down to 3000 from there. Probably won't need a heavier grit than 1500 to start with...maybe 1000 if they are really bad. Also, I'd probably use a white polishing pad with the 205, but try the grey and if it works fine, then great...if not try moving up to a white pad.

Detailed Josh
06-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Do you think another pad choice is needed after (either white or grey) with #205 polishing or end at that step, and then do the Opti-Lens?

Thank you guys!

Detailing by M
06-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Have you not done HL repair?
If you haven't then you'll have to learn what you need to do.
It's not hard at all, well for me it wasn't, but you will have a slight learning curve.

Basically your going to wet sand of the original UV coating. This is something you want to take your time with and check your work often.
Next you have to polish out the sanding marks and bring the lens to a crystal clear look, then you coat/re-paint.