PDA

View Full Version : Towels for Garry dean wash

Dewy
06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I know this has already been asked but could not find the answer. What towels do you all use when using the dean method? Using it on black and don't want to take any chances. Also do you have trouble with zaino towels linting?

MyFirstES300
06-23-2013, 06:28 PM
When I "did" do the Dean method I used Microfibers that were not too thick and plush. I found it easier to clean as opposed to the thicker ones like the Chinchilla's or Cobra 600 g/m2's. I used the equivalent of these:

Special Purchase Light Blue Microfiber Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/buffing-and-polishing-towels1.html)

They were ample for the job. -Ed

Fphillips
06-23-2013, 07:07 PM
I've been using Meguiars supreme shine towels for the last 6 months with zero issues.

swanicyouth
06-23-2013, 07:18 PM
I like thick plush towels. I have rotation of 4 sets: Grey Cobra 530s, MFT 600 gsm green, AG's / MFT's blue/grey 700 gsm waterless wash towel, and Chinchillas. The green MFT towels are my favorite.

Since you don't want to go back into the bucket, I like high gsm towels because they hold a lot of liquid. I find 7 of these towels will suck up almost exactly 2 gallons of water. I never go back into the bucket once I remove a towel. Since I only use 2 gallons, I always use DI water right out of the plastic jug - costs $2.

I also find the plush thick towels don't mar the paint. This is just my preference, but I think you should use the thickest plushest towels you can afford. I always foam and pressure rinse the vehicle and spray the panel(s) down with waterless wash before touching them. I've been doing it this way for a while with zero scratches or marring.

There are faster ways to do it, but I'm looking for excellent results, not a fast car wash. Some may feel there is no point in doing a rinseless wash if you rinse the car down first. So, whatever works for you.

wdmaccord
06-23-2013, 07:31 PM
I use 530 gsm towels. These: ProSeries 530GSM Super Plush Microfiber Towel - Blue w/ Black Silk Band, 16 x 16 inch, SD-T530BS (http://www.detailing.com/store/proseries-530gsm-super-plush-hi-low-pile-microfiber-towel-16-x-16-blue.html)

Dewy
06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Swanicyouth- Using your method, how do you dry the car? I like your way but can't figure out how to avoid waterspots. Still learning. Thanks.

poweraid
06-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I throw like 10 carpro blue angoras (455 gsm) in a 2 gal bucket , fill with 1 gal of solution mix , usually uww+ . I presoak . I use the same type mf to dry . maybe use like 4-5 to dry , idk , . got 48 angoras to do my CL wash method .

wdmaccord
06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Swanicyouth- Using your method, how do you dry the car? I like your way but can't figure out how to avoid waterspots. Still learning. Thanks.

I know you weren't asking me, but I'll tell you how I do it...always streak/spot free:

I use a gold Cobra gold plush 16x16 towel that I put in the rinseless solution and then I ring it out as much as I can. After I wash each panel, I first dry with the damp gold plush towel and then final dry and buff with a 530 gsm towel. Ring out the gold towel again after each panel so its just barely wet. Keep the damp towel in one pocket and the dry towel in the other, so it's like 2 guns in double holster. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty quick.

glen e
06-23-2013, 08:39 PM
any gsm 450-600 works well
as for spots, if its hot and sunny, each panel gets dried with waffle weave as i go, if not hot, weave after whole car is done....

Shortspark
06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I've been using Meguiars supreme shine towels for the last 6 months with zero issues.

I also use these towels for the Gary Dean method - so far so good.