PDA

View Full Version : my first OC2 project

friendly_jacek
06-23-2013, 06:00 PM
I just did detailing of a 2003 corolla. Not perfect and I didn't remove all scratches but I was afraid to remove too much paint (single stage).

I finished OC2 application and it went well. I thought I used a lot of product as it took at least 10 drops to make the applicator wet enough to finish one panel. However, after finishing, I have 15 cc left. Now, the syringe says 20 cc.

Did I just use only 5 cc? Weird, I thought it was more like 25 cc total.

Should I go back and put a second layer?

swanicyouth
06-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Not being a smart *ss, but do you know how to read a syringe?

friendly_jacek
06-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Not being a smart *ss, but do you know how to read a syringe?

No offense taken, but I'm more than qualified to do that.

friendly_jacek
06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I did some more searches and looks like people use 5-15 cc of the product per car. I will go ahead and do a second layer some time later. When would be the best time to do it? Do I wait for full cure?

Thanks!

CriticalDetails
06-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I did some more searches and looks like people use 5-15 cc of the product per car. I will go ahead and do a second layer some time later. When would be the best time to do it? Do I wait for full cure?

Thanks!

I have never applied a second layer of Opti-Coat without removing the previously applied layer. If I remember correctly you can layer Opti-Coat within the first 30 days before it cures.

5cc of Opti-Coat is far too little unless you are coating a Two door convertible. Optimum Recommends using 10cc for the vehicle's paint. I Opti-Coated two vehicles last week and used 9cc on the one vehicle and 11cc on the other.

Chris Thomas
06-24-2013, 09:40 PM
You can layer it without complications. If you see it reject the second coat after fully cured, a very light finish polishing will be enough to make the second coat stick.

SonOfOC
06-25-2013, 02:06 AM
I just did detailing of a 2003 corolla. Not perfect and I didn't remove all scratches but I was afraid to remove too much paint (single stage).

I finished OC2 application and it went well. I thought I used a lot of product as it took at least 10 drops to make the applicator wet enough to finish one panel. However, after finishing, I have 15 cc left. Now, the syringe says 20 cc.

Did I just use only 5 cc? Weird, I thought it was more like 25 cc total.

Should I go back and put a second layer?

If done correctly, I highly doubt that only 5cc was used. Usually new users of OC, small car, and single stage paint will use more than what's needed.

I started out using about 15cc and slowly got it down to about 10cc, sometimes lower. But every so often I get a vehicle that sucks up OC like the desert to a drop of water.

Anyhow, to be safe, do a second coat.:xyxthumbs:

friendly_jacek
06-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Thank you all for feedback.
Here is my plan: I will try to wet the car gently this weekend (7 days post application) and look for water beading. If I find spots with no water beading, I will redo the application.

In case I decide to redo it, should I do full car wash with Down and IPA wash down or just IPA? Would IPA be harmful to the first layer of OC2?

Off topic, on the first day at school with the freshly detailed car, my daughter (the paint fix was my birthday gift to her) received a huge door dent at the parking lot. looks like almost 1 square inch and some exposed metal at the center.

Some people are very mean!!!

friendly_jacek
06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
In case I decide to redo it, should I do full car wash with Down and IPA wash down or just IPA? Would IPA be harmful to the first layer of OC2?

I'm posting this after picture to bump the thread. I still have some questions unanswered.

Thanks again!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc174/friendly_jacek/photo_zps20db6419.jpg

Chris Thomas
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
If you're going to dawn wash you won't need IPA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

friendly_jacek
06-29-2013, 06:28 PM
If you're going to dawn wash you won't need IPA.

Thanks Chris!

Today is 7 days post the first application. I tested for beads and some flat spots on roof had very large flat beads:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/43346-post-your-beading-shots-21.html#post901053

That confirmed my suspicion I used too little OC2 on the first application. I also missed 2 small spots on edges on hood and trunk.

The second application went very quickly and easy. I used only 3 cc this time (8 cc total) as the paint did not soak as much product as the first application.

It could be in my head, but it looks shinier too. I'm happy with the results now.

Chris Thomas
06-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Excellent!

friendly_jacek
07-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Update:
These are shots after rain 1 week after the second layer of OC2:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo3a.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo2a.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo1a.jpg

Clearly better than the first application.

Chris Thomas
07-08-2013, 12:10 PM
That's more like it!