PDA

View Full Version : How do I get this thing off my dash without damaging the dash?

Demonspeed
06-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Hey guys I know this isn't a conventional detailing question, but I figured you guys would know best. I bought a 2007 VW passat and I've been in the process of cleaning up the interior. The dash is made of a soft vinyl I believe. It is somewhat soft to the touch. The previous owner attached a hard plastic circle to the dash. I'm guessing it was some kind of GPS mount. It's really stuck on there and I'm worried about damaging the soft dash while taking it off, but it causes a lot of glare on the windshield while driving. Hopefully the picture works. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks guys!

hernandez.art13
06-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Subscribed

Finemess
06-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Dental Floss, back and forth in a saw like movement. Some heat may help, or let it sit in the sun for a while. IPA to remove goo.

statusdetailing
06-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Subbed. Ive had trouble with stuff lime this in the past. Adhesive of any kind can be difficult to remove withoit also damaging the interior surface.

If i had to give it a shot, i probably try to lightly heat it up with my heat gun or steamer. If that took it off, id try to remove the remaining residue with dlimonene and a plastic razor blade...maybe some more light steam.

statusdetailing
06-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Dental Floss, back and forth in a saw like movement. Some heat may help, or let it sit in the sun for a while. IPA to remove goo.

Cool, never heard of the floss idea. I agree about the ipa. That may work as well, depending on the adhesive

hernandez.art13
06-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Even with a Dental Floss you'd still have to be very slow and gentle no?

Demonspeed
06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Sounds like some pretty good ideas so far. What is IPA? I'm new to this whole detailing thing

William D.
06-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Sounds like some pretty good ideas so far. What is IPA? I'm new to this whole detailing thing

Isopropyl Alcohol.

Theo_Auto_Fines
06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
I would normally dip the floss with some mineral oil or cooking oil to help it glide when removing badges off cars. Im sure that the floss method works well with items that are glued on too. If you have a steamer that would greatly assist you in that project.

Demonspeed
06-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I plan on messing with it sometime this week and I'll keep you updated on the progress

BillE
06-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Just a comment...

Yea, that is 'GPS' mount (have the same thing in my truck) and the 'glue' that holds in on is a 3M Mounting Tape. It's not your 'grandfathers tape' either...it is the most tenacious stuff I've ever seen.

Bill

Marc Hufnagel
06-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Hope it isn't faded underneath.