PDA

View Full Version : Tire Shine Gel on rims? Is it bad?

pcrcool
06-22-2013, 09:20 PM
1st off Ive been putting Armor all Tire shine spray on my rims for awhile it and its fine.

Now I bought the purple Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel, for shining my tires. But its a gel version. Would it hurt to put it on my rims also to make them shiny black? I have black custom rims, "Tenzo - Type-M Version 1" is the model and brand of my rims. Here's what they look like: Tenzo Wheels Rims Type-M Version 1 17 18 19 inch Black Red Lip (http://www.wheelplususa.com/wheels/Tenzo/Type-M+Version+1/Black+Red+Lip)

I noticed when I tried a little dab bit of the Meguiar's shine gel on 1 of the rims, it made it very glossy, looks nice. but will it hurt it? Id love to do it if it doesnt matter....

Thanks

Evan.J
06-22-2013, 09:26 PM
First and foremost Welcome to the forum since this is your first post!

As for the rims shine they are matte then I see no reason that they would do any harm. If it makes you happy that they shine up a bit then that's all that matters!

pcrcool
06-22-2013, 11:40 PM
First and foremost Welcome to the forum since this is your first post!

As for the rims shine they are matte then I see no reason that they would do any harm. If it makes you happy that they shine up a bit then that's all that matters!

Thanks! And yeah i guess my concern is brake dust, do you think it will make the dust stick a lot more and be more difficult to take off since this is an oil shine, versus the armor all silicon shine? idk

BlackHawk
06-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Ugh I would never put any tire shine on rims. That makes no sense. Brake dust will stick on it like crazy and it will harden with the gel.

If you wanna make your rims shiny, polish them with something like M205 and use some sort of wax on them.

I've never heard of putting tire shine on rims lol first one for me

pcrcool
06-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Ugh I would never put any tire shine on rims. That makes no sense. Brake dust will stick on it like crazy and it will harden with the gel.

If you wanna make your rims shiny, polish them with something like M205 and use some sort of wax on them.

I've never heard of putting tire shine on rims lol first one for me

Ya, I know tire shine spray is definitely not supposed to be put on rims lol. But with my type of rims, the silicon based sprays Ive noticed work well with shining, my rims are a black gloss & it looks so nice. But that's good to know the gel will probably be really bad. Ill have to look into the M205

BlackHawk
06-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Ya, I know tire shine spray is definitely not supposed to be put on rims lol. But with my type of rims, the silicon based sprays Ive noticed work well with shining, my rims are a black gloss & it looks so nice. But that's good to know the gel will probably be really bad. Ill have to look into the M205

Generally speaking you don't want either a spray or gel on your rims like that. Like I said it will/could ruin your rims in the long run. Hence why everyone here generally wipes down rims after applying tire shine of any sort to make sure none of it stays on the rim.

PiPUK
06-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Endurance gel is just silicone oil with some additional carriers. There is nothing in there that would be harmful to a professionally finished rim. Yes, it will leave a sticky residue and will attract soiling but it will not harder (it is an oil, not a curable polymer) and can be easily enough washed away later.