PDA

View Full Version : Is Mazda paint the worst?

bigez
06-22-2013, 02:18 PM
I've been thinking of getting a new Mazda, but a lot of people on the Mazda forums say it has some of the worst paint in the industry and that it's very thin and prone to chipping.

I've also heard they are more prone to rust, not sure about that one. I have seen a couple Mazda's that had horrible paint chips in the hood and even some rust that appears to be under the paint. I still own an old Acura (1996) that has been daily driven for over 15 years and hardly has any chips in it. Of course, back then I guess they were using better paint.

I know that modern paints in general aren't that great (more "green" and earth friendly), but is Mazda really the worst? Has anybody put a paint gauge on it and noticed?

rmagnus
06-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I think you could put Honda in the running for worst paint. They have reliable mechanics but I see a lot of failed clear coat on Hondas.

Nick McKees37
06-22-2013, 02:28 PM
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 and the paint is extremely hard; as hard as any Corvette or Mercedes that I've worked on. It is also very thin - averages right around 2.3-2.5 mils. To help with the generalization of "which models have hard or soft paint" my car was manufactured in Japan (The 3 is made all over the world).

Mazdas are pretty popular in south Florida and I don't ever recall seeing faded and chipped paint jobs. If a lot of people are saying that Mazda paint chipping is common, I would try and narrow it down to a certain model and color. If it's that common I'm sure Mazda would have (hopefully) addressed it.

Zoom zoom! :)

wompasaurus
06-22-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm in Michigan just did a 91 miata. daily driver even in winter had no rust but major swirls. the paint is very very hard. did a 105 205 combo and was not happy with the results client was happy but IMO it was only 90% correction. there was no chipping or rust if I ran a rotery and not a da I'm sure the turn out would have been better. have pics if interested

ski2
06-22-2013, 05:58 PM
For those of you with experience with Mazda paint--would you say the hardness is on par with VW hard clear???

cjsls
06-22-2013, 08:00 PM
i have an 04 mazda6 in black onyx and the paint is extremely thin and soft. Lots of small paint chips on my car. The wifey has an 08 mazda3 in red mica and her paint is much harder than mine, not sure about the thickness though. Hers has alot of orange peel , mine doesn't. Her doesn't have a single chip.

bigez
06-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing like everything else, it's going to be "variable". Depends on what year it is, where it was made, what model, etc...
You'll never really know for sure I guess until you buy the dang thing...

otruba_843
06-23-2013, 03:07 PM
My friend has Tribute from 2004 I think. Its been parked out side since he bought it, but the paint is chipping and peeling off is some areas already...

silverfox
06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes. Had a m-3. After three years of meticulous care by me there was rust over each rear wheel well. Horrible paint on that particular car.

cardaddy
06-23-2013, 05:39 PM
I've got two 2012 Mazda 3's I have access to; One is a customers Mazdaspeed version, the other is my future son in laws, both in black mica. Paint is seriously hard.

Neither has any chips and both get driven hard. Unfortunately the future son in law tends not to take care of his car AT FREAKING ALL!!! He just drives it. Not like he doesn't make enough money to take care of it, far from it. To be only 24 and knocking down well over 72K we could do a coating on the darned thing. Then the Mazdaspeed one, that kid wants it perfect all the time and makes 1/3rd as much. We may be scheduling either cquartz or OC on it next week as he want something with less maintenance. FWIW he likes the look and feel of a fresh sealant, M21, WG, BF really doesn't matter. What he REALLY LIKES, is sealant topped with M26, just the durability is too short.

The first time I started on the 'speed' one I figured I'd hit it with 151 and a orange pad (as all he was paying for was a quick AIO) and be done with it. It literally didn't touch the swirls (like I wanted it to). Ended up doing the full MF treatment with D300 and cutting pads, followed by D301 and finishing pads. Worked like a CHARM! I was actually surprised at how well it turned out using the MF pads and 'finishing wax'. That was a testament to how hard the paint is. (Did top it with M21 as planned, but because it was so hard I had to do the MF system to get it where I wanted it to be.)

Was a great idea though to under price and over deliver because he's turned into a solid client AND they send me work from their shop. (Got to advertise in their shop as part of the deal.) ;)

flamed03vert
06-24-2013, 06:48 AM
I have a 2013 CX5 in Metropolitan Grey, and a 2013 Mazda 3 hatch in Graphite and neither have had any chipping issues FWIW. Long term logevity obviously will be seen as the cars age, but they have had some miles put on them with no issues thus far.