PDA

View Full Version : How Important Is PH Level?

statusdetailing
06-22-2013, 01:00 PM
I've been wanting to bring this up for a while. A lot of high end detailers and even a lot of us on this forum talk about using ph balanced products on interior and exterior surfaces.

It sounds great and all but i found that some of the best and most proven products are things like megs apc+ and opc which both have 11+ ph...maybe slightly lower if diluted but still fairly high.

So what's the deal and how important is this number?

Obviously some common sense has to be used here. You wouldn't use super degreaser 13+ ph on leather. Also, i know that a slightly higher ph will strip lsp's etc, but does that necessarily make them unsafe. For example, would you use opc on a ferrari interior/exterior? Why or why not?

Thanks!

mg6045
06-22-2013, 01:31 PM
from what I understand its more complicated than that. For example not all high PH chemicals are caustic. take Auto Finesse Citrus Power. PH of around 13 and it will not strip carnuaba wax. But P21S TAW with a PH of 9 will strip wax..

swanicyouth
06-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Then again, who really know what the actual pH of the products are in their usable form. We are going by what someone tells us,unless you have a pH meter to check it yourself.

I only use products made for leather on leather for this reason.

statusdetailing
06-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I think you have to take into consideration any solvents in a product as well.

Andr3wilson
06-22-2013, 02:48 PM
I think you have to take into consideration any solvents in a product as well.

You are right, solvents are what dissolve wax. Most high quality waxes and sealants are actually quite resistant to degreasers and high pHs

To me the "pH balanced" just denotes its not as aggressive, not an acid and more user friendly and aimed to enthusiasts. For example, take a polished aluminum rim. Something really caustic like Megs WB and something pH balanced CG Diablo. Diablo can be applied to a hot rim and dry on there no damage to the rim. WB is left on for more than 30 secs will wreck the rim. Now a newbie that does not understand this may be in for trouble.

Majority of the non pH balanced products we use are to the basic, not acidic side. You can tell by the feel and taste. Basic products really wont damage your car (wax is replaceable no problem, paint on the other hand), acidic products can really cause problems if used improperly. Take Sonus Aluminum Brightner. Probably the most acidic product sold here and it will burn you! (learned that the hard way) Leave it on too long and it will ruin the metal.

So is it important, yes to a degree. I hate using strong acids. Basic products I dont care about.

inDetail
06-22-2013, 04:36 PM
My advice. Always go for the least harmful products. I have used opw on leather. Most cars have either chrome tanned and/or laminated leathers these two things keep leather costs down and easier to care for. On the other hand I would not use opw on leather in a Bentley. That's when you use your leather cleaning and treatment products.

Tinwhiskers
06-22-2013, 09:05 PM
The importance of a product's pH all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and on what kind of material you are using it on. Higher pH means alkalines and strong alkalines are very effective at emulsifying oils and fats (think wax), so yes they will remove those types of lsp.

Aluminum is especially susceptible to caustics. Aluminum is relatively inert in most acids but caustics will begin etching aluminum immediately. I would also be wary of high pH products because caustics can burn you worse than most acids. Although watch out for any product that contains hydrofluoric acid......very nasty burns.

I'm not sure exactly what pH balanced means because that would mean a pH of 7......water. I think what most people mean is the product is slightly acidic or slightly alkaline, is buffered, and/or not very aggressive. I look at it the same as polishing in that you want to use the least aggressive method to achieve the results you desire. You can always use a more aggressive product if need be but the same can't always be said once you go too strong.

CustomLookz
06-22-2013, 09:35 PM
From what I understand, the PH has nothing to do with how safe something is. Like a lot of wheel cleaners are very acidic but they are safe for most rims. Well muratic acid is also very acidic, (15,000 times more acidic than water) but just because something is an acid doesn't mean it's going to have the same effect. Different acids are like different chemicals, and just because you dillute something to the same PH doesn't mean it's going to have the same effect, because it's a completely different chemical. I would think the same case would be for higher PHed chemicals as well