PDA

View Full Version : Camera Advice ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

swanicyouth
06-22-2013, 07:45 AM
In thinking about getting a camera. Problem is, I know zero about cameras / photography. I don't have a clue what an f stop or an aperture is. Right now, all I have is an IPhone 5 camera. Three questions:

1. Is there a point and shoot type camera I can get that will take significantly better pictures than an IPhone camera that a noob can operate? I mainly plan to use it for reviews & car shows.

2. If so, what feature(s) are most important?

3. How much do I need to spend?

TIA!

davidc
06-22-2013, 07:54 AM
I just bought a Nikon D3100 with the standard lense and a zoom for 499 at Crutchfield. So far it has been great with HD pictures and video.
Nikon D3100 Kit with Standard Zoom and Telephoto Zoom Lenses 14.2-megapixel camera with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_05413284/Nikon-D3100-Kit-with-Standard-Zoom-and-Telephoto-Zoom-Lenses.html)

Dave

swanicyouth
06-22-2013, 08:07 AM
I just bought a Nikon D3100 with the standard lense and a zoom for 499 at Crutchfield. So far it has been great with HD pictures and video.
Nikon D3100 Kit with Standard Zoom and Telephoto Zoom Lenses 14.2-megapixel camera with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_05413284/Nikon-D3100-Kit-with-Standard-Zoom-and-Telephoto-Zoom-Lenses.html)

Dave

If a camera comes with a zoom lens, when would you use it - taking pictures far away?

If this was detailing, I would be asking: what do I need to get to make my tires shiny? That's how much I know.

RTexasF
06-22-2013, 08:23 AM
You can find a point and shoot camera that will suit your needs for $100 or less. Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic (to name a few) all have decent products. I'm a Canon fan but they all have good cameras for your intended uses.

Here is just one example:
Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A2300 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Digital Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens with 720p HD Video Recording (Red): Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUHWG/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1371907477&sr=1-4)

Wolff809
06-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Treat it like you would with something detail related. If you dont know much about it research it. I didnt know much but I did some web searching and looked up a lot of stuff before I dived into my Canon rebel T1i. I really beileve DSLR are the way to go there is a learning curve to them but if you read the manual and look up some stuff they are not bad at all. They are a great investment and will last forever compared to most point and shoots.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-22-2013, 08:45 AM
+1 on getting a DSLR. I was on the fence on whether or not it would be necessary for detailing and after using my new Nikon D3200 I won't be without it. It takes very high quality pictures in a hurry and the manual focus is very useful for capturing the defects.

swanicyouth
06-22-2013, 08:49 AM
I was trying to keep it under $250. So, I'm thinking maybe a DSLR is out of my range. The little research it did, I learned DSLR means you get to see through the lens that takes the picture. Is that the jist of it?

Jeffkassebaum
06-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Im a professional photographer so im kinda picky about features. I demo three cameras for our point and shoot we use at home and landed on Panasonic DMC-FH25. I like canon and nikon cameras but this one is easy to use has a Leica 10x zoom and you can turn on the flash outdoors. 16 Mega pixel, small. Hope this helps

swanicyouth
06-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Im a professional photographer so im kinda picky about features. I demo three cameras for our point and shoot we use at home and landed on Panasonic DMC-FH25. I like canon and nikon cameras but this one is easy to use has a Leica 10x zoom and you can turn on the flash outdoors. 16 Mega pixel, small. Hope this helps

Will a DSLR give significantly better pictures than a P&S type camera. The easier the better. I don't think I want to get into switching lenses and stuff. However, if that's what's required to get great pictures, then I may have to learn about it.

There's always photoshop.

Check out what Blue Velvet wax did to my car:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/22/7ejedyjy.jpg

Then I didn't like it, so I switched to Orange Crush:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/22/5a9u3yze.jpg

SR99
06-22-2013, 09:30 AM
You can actually get some serious bang for your buck in buying a used camera. Cameras depreciate worse than cars, and if you're not a professional photographer you probably don't care about having the latest incremental improvement. Also, cameras are generally treated well, so you seldom find one that is not in near-new condition after a few years from the release date.

That's especially true of cameras that originally sold for more than 600 bucks. They seem to depreciate a greater percentage than lower-priced cameras (just like with cars), and they were generally purchased by an enthusiast who treats them well.

You can find in-depth camera reviews of several-year-old cameras online.

As an example, in 2008 I got a camera that originally retailed for $700 in 2005, for about $225 bucks. I bought it from a private party, but you can find some pretty good deals in camera stores that take trade-ins.

Wolff809
06-22-2013, 09:42 AM
I think a DSLR is worth the extra cash my girlfriend has a point and shoot and mine blows her's out of the water even though there is only 3 megapixals difference. Most of the time the focus is better and like someone said earlier that you can manualy focus on defects. Buying a used one does save you a lot of money.

Gunslinger
06-22-2013, 10:08 AM
It's the glass that makes the most difference. There's lots of good cameras but far more varying quality levels of lenses available. The cameras themselves vary in features...some of which may or may not be of interest to some.

Determine your needs and research which cameras best suit those needs.

For a pocket camera I use a Panasonic Lumix with a Leica lens...it's awesome within its capabilities. When I need more versatility I use a Canon 60D because it has features I often want to use...like the rotating view screen.

For lenses, I use Canon lenses but have been told by a pro that Sigma makes outstanding lenses as well. He also said don't overlook used equipment. You can pick up some very nice, little used stuff for more than reasonable prices.

davidc
06-22-2013, 10:28 AM
If a camera comes with a zoom lens, when would you use it - taking pictures far away?

If this was detailing, I would be asking: what do I need to get to make my tires shiny? That's how much I know.

The zoom is used for pictures taken further away where you want a picture of the subject and not the country side, such as an auditorium with your daughter graduating and getting her diploma. You definately want a closeup of that. Changing lenses is very easily done. Cameras get used for a lot more than taking pictures of cars and detailing. When I look at buying a camera I look for quality, versatility and features. Someday I may need it all and saving a couple hundred dollars is not top on my list. Just as in detailing when you need something you need it and there is no substitute. Do not plan for now, plan for the future because you never know.

Dave

Hoytman
06-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Garry Dean shoots all of his videos with a Canon Elph 100 HS, which shoots video in 1080p full high definition. So long as you move the camera slowly when panning this camera shoots very nice video and the image quality is awesome.

I'm not suggesting the above camera, but there are new versions of it that have more and better features and is still economical. They shoot great photo's as well, but I'd still like a dslr so that I can manage more of the camera functions myself and learn more about cameras and taking photo's. Cameras similar to what Mike Phillips uses, which is an older Rebel, would suffice just fine for me, but newer similar types with better features can now be bought for the same money that Mike probably paid for his trusty, dusty, Rebel.

masterpartha
06-22-2013, 10:52 AM
If you dont like carrying bulky dSLRs around and dont want to get into an in depth knowledge of how cameras function, you are better off sticking with a semi - dslr Point and shoot camera.
And the only camera that comes to mind in that range is the Sony RX100.

Its a superb point and shoot with a 1 inch sensor. And its quality is as good as some entry level dSLRs. Because is priced like them lol.

Read about it. See if you like it. I think B&H will have some or the other deal running on that camera.

And more than the tool, it is the knowledge of the person using it, that determines the result. You can have a full frame 2000$ dSLR, but if you dont know how to compose a shot, that camera maybe worthless then. In most scenarios, point and shoots these days have become as good as dSLR. The advantage a dSLR offers is the big sensor captures more data and also makes taking night shots easy.

The RX100 from sony has a big enough sensor to make your night shots just as good. If you have a store nearby, just get a hands on with the cameras before buying them. That way you know how comfortable you feel with it.

But for videos, Id always recommend a dSLR.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta