PDA

View Full Version : Waterspots!

P1et
05-31-2007, 10:31 PM
So as some of you might know, we got the hood on my wife's Explorer re-painted about two months ago. As to let it cure, I only spray some Poorboys S&W on it after each wash so it at least protects it a bit.

She pulls up today and there are these two massive bird craps on the hood. Since we were going out, I decided I would at least spray some water on them to try to "wash them off" without putting a sponge to it. Didn't completey fix it, but better than nothing.

We just got home and I properly washed the hood, but I saw that the drops from earlier already stained in the paint. It was night time and I swear it wasn't on there for more than an hour.

Does this sound normal? Am I going to have to buff it off? How long does the paint need to "cure" before I can do that?

Whitethunder46
05-31-2007, 10:45 PM
What drops are stained in the hood? The bird droppings or waterspots from the previous "rinsing"? If it's just waterspots, take some water/vinegar mixed 50/50 and spray it on and wipe it off like it was a QD. This is the #1 best tip I've ever learned from this board. I always do this to vehicles now to make them complete perfect if I'm not polishing.

If it's the bird droppings, you could try a paint cleanser by hand first before going to an all out polish.

Brandon1
06-01-2007, 06:15 AM
I would try a polish, then just protect it with OCW. OCW has no silicones in it which is what you dont want to have on new paint. I have it on my fresh paint wth no problem. I got tired of it not being protected.

P1et
06-01-2007, 08:21 AM
I checked on it this morning and was able to slightly remove some of the waterspots from the rinsing with some Poorboys S&W. Looks like I might have to try the water/vineger mix!

But I checked the spot where the bird droppings were and MAN that stained the paint BADLY! Really upset me as I can leave something on my truck in the sun pretty much all day and when rinsed off at night, it doesn't leave a mark.

However, on the Ford paint, it's like I have 5 minutes to remove it or it'll be there permanently. Riles me up!

P1et
06-01-2007, 08:21 AM
What is a good way to remove the bird dropping? Put the PC to it?

And how long do you normally have to wait with new paint before you can polish it?

Tropicality
06-01-2007, 08:44 AM
And how long do you normally have to wait with new paint before you can polish it?

I would like to know too. I got a new 07 Mazda on May 10th and 3 hours later I was rear ended :( got the bumper fixed on monday and I now want to get it polished/sealed asap.

How long should I wait before I can use a PC on it?

How long should I wait before I can polish it with a non-abrasive polish like Klasse AIO or Menzerna Finishing Polish by hand? and then seal it by hand?

Gary Sword
06-01-2007, 10:14 AM
I have always heard to wait at 30 days but I have also talked to others who say it's best to wait 90 days.

ScottB
06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
bird droppings can etch paint quickly, even thru some sealants. Thats why, even with new paint or painted areas I mask with a little pure carnauba. It still breathes but protects against the elements. Its the cleaners and abrasives you should stay away from. I would at this point try some XMT360 to remove the spots. I found it to work well on top of our Cadillac from droppings.

P1et
06-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks Killr. I'm hearing different things about when you can start protecting/polishing paints but I think we should be at the 60 days mark now.

I'll go ahead and just polish it with PO85RD and a gray pad, see if that helps.

ScottB
06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
remember this , carnauba has to breathe. How does oxygen get into a plant ?? Not water but oxygen ?? It protects by refraction and thats why a 100% pure carnauba is ok to use on new bodywork. Paint sealants ?? Well I am not so sure, as they close or mask off the area.

P1et
06-01-2007, 02:07 PM
That's a good point Scott, we're slapping a coat of wax on there when I get home tonight!

Cheetah
06-01-2007, 09:27 PM
hey, you might want to try this. i learned this trick here on AG. i used to always get waterspots no matter what i did but if you put one capful of ONR into your wash mix then it will soften the water and no more waterspots! i tried it 2 weeks in a row now and it really works. i even waited like 5 mins after the wash before i dried to test it and there
were no waterspots at all. i would get them 100% of the time before. give it a try.

P1et
06-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks Cheetah, that's some good feedback. I don't usually have issues with waterspots, or hard water, but I let this stuff sit on a warm hood in the direct sun. Lessons learned...

I just did a quick detail on the Explorer and actually put some Poorboy S&W on the birdspot and it actually look it all off. I was quite surprised actually.

I slapped on a good layer of wax, no polishing yet...