PDA

View Full Version : Megs M67

Theraven
06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Just tried out Meg's M67: One step compound + polish on and Old sea-ray a boat. It's looking great! But Just curious how much the shine is from the polish and much of it from the oils. Just worried about die back. Anyone with Experience using this product could Give me some more Insight.

BillE
06-22-2013, 07:25 AM
M-67 is a great product isn't it!

To be really and very honest, I've never had good luck using M-45 (Boat/RV Polish). I can never seem to get it to not be 'splotchy.' I know it is only me, as others have gotten good results.

Putting a coat of wax will really help in maintain the shine.

Bill

Hoytman
06-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Just tried out Meg's M67: One step compound + polish on and Old sea-ray a boat. It's looking great! But Just curious how much the shine is from the polish and much of it from the oils. Just worried about die back. Anyone with Experience using this product could Give me some more Insight.

M67 works great.

What pads did you use and were they used with a dual action polisher, or a rotary? Did you allow the product to remove the oxidation and then just move on to another section? Just some general questions, so that readers can get an idea of what you used.

I like to allow the product to remove the oxidation and continue working it until the product is fully broken down, then I like to re-apply more product to that same section and go over that same section again. It seems to amp-up the shine.

Put a good solid sealant on it; I like to use something that wipes on and allows me to walk away. I use opti-seal. I then top the boat with Collinite 845 for a shine that will last and last. No worries about die-back with this process, but the boat will re-oxidize if you don't clean it regularly with a good polish or cleaner wax, especially if it sits in the sun. Maintenance is key...

M-67 is a great product isn't it!

To be really and very honest, I've never had good luck using M-45 (Boat/RV Polish). I can never seem to get it to not be 'splotchy.' I know it is only me, as others have gotten good results.

Putting a coat of wax will really help in maintain the shine.

Bill

In my mind the 'splotchyiness' you may be seeing is from certain areas of the gel-coat being dryer than others, or explained another way, some areas have fully soaked up the oils of M45 while others areas may need a re-application of M45. The M45 may even need some dwell time so it has time for the oils to fully soak in.

M45 is a very good product, but keep in mind to keep this product away from black plastics, or rubber coated plastics on boats. For instance, the rocker switches in the cockpit area.
Check out this link, and then click on the other links provided for an example of the switches I'm refering to. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/boat-rv-detailing/58233-dry-gelcoat.html

From the above link:

One thing I failed to mention about using M7 on your boat...

And again, this is only one situation, but it happened none-the-less.

...is to be careful about using M7 around any of the black rocker switches such as these COLE HERSEE Contura Rocker Switches at West Marine that you might see on many of today's coastal and off shore boats.

My dad, by accident, got some M7 on these swithces and it melted the rubber coating right off of them. I found it by bumping up against the switches and then having to find out where all of th black marks were coming from, only to find black stuff all over my hands where I had bumped the switches. It was a mess, and required about $80 to replace all of the switches that this happened to, not to mention gas money to get new switches and the time going to get them and replacement time.

I'd say that while it was an interesting find, it was also a costly accident.

The type of switches to keep M45 away from because the coating on the switches will melt. (Type-doesn't mean these switches are suceptable to the same issues, rather, that similar type switches may have some sort of coating on them that doesn't play well with the oils in Meguiar's M45/M7.) COLE HERSEE Contura Rocker Switches, 12V at West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=109403&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50557)

Theraven
06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
I used a 3m compounding pad on a rotary buffer @ 12-1800RPM with med pressure and light near the end(spur as needed). To me the higher speeds seamed to help it cut better and polish out nicely at the end of its cycle even with a comp pad. I did have to shake the bottle alot! Sometimes just oil would come out, and the the product behind it. Overall I am very satisfied with the product,I like that it doesn't gum up your pads quickly, long working time,for a one step it outshines/polishes better than other expensive products I've used. I'll have to experiment with different machines and pad types too. I've used M-45, it's more just a polishing oil/faint swirl remover/light surface cleaner. I some times mix a little in with my paste wax for a slight boost of depth to the gelcoat. I'm curious to try m91 power cut compound for the really nasty jobs. Any tips on a good machine polish/swirl remover after compounding. How about a good sealant, I use Collinite PW #885, kind of hard to beat its protection in longevity but I'm alway open to wnew ideas. Thanks for all. your responses

Hoytman
06-22-2013, 06:38 PM
M91, then after compounding use M67...should provide the shine you're looking for if you're wanting to use the Meguiar's Marine line-up of products.

BillE
06-23-2013, 08:04 AM
M91, then after compounding use M67...should provide the shine you're looking for if you're wanting to use the Meguiar's Marine line-up of products.

Totally totally agree! M-91 is one stout product and will need M-67 (or similar) to 'refine that shine.'

Side note to Bill: I've tried using M-45 like M-07, trying all the different techniques...I think 'we' just don't play well together...LOL. I found after using M-67, going down to M-44 (Color Restorer) works well for me.

Bill