PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions; The Edge System

BlackCoupe
05-29-2006, 01:37 PM
My only experience up to now has been with Meguiars products and the 7424 and a Makita rotary. I was able to get rid of swirls and scratches but have always felt that there was a slight hazing that I could not get rid of (on a black car) and the pads did not seem to hold up that well. I bought the Edge system from DetailMeister Jason this week with four pads. Last time I was there I got some XMT #1 Fine Swirl Remover. He said it should work, so naturally I ignored him.

However, today I tried that XMT #1 Fine Swirl Remover with the white Edge pad and it put that final j-eweling on the the finish I have been looking for. I think part of this was that I was able to go to 6 with the Edge system on the DA, whereas Meguiars does not recommend going beyond 5 with their pads (due to, I believe, heat transfer that damages the backing plate and pads). So hats off and thanks to Jason.

And so I have this questipn--on the Meguiars site they talk alot about how their products have "diminishing abrasives" --in other words, they breakdown as you work them. Is this so for the XMT and other products, Poorboys, etc. that I see advertised on AG? Anybody have another product/pad suggestion for that final j-eweling-up step.

ScottB
05-29-2006, 04:47 PM
most modern polishes use diminishing abrasives, as much easier on paint. It also is a new catch phrase as many have been using abrasives that break down for years. Marketing 101 ---

I believe I have discussed the benefits on j eweling the surface on many an occasion. With a final polish and a finishing pad (grey or blue) you are simply buffing the finish to diamond like qualities. The benefit to this is also that if you used a harsh pad or compound that left micro-marring, then this usually can remove/lessen it also.

BlackCoupe
05-29-2006, 05:07 PM
most modern polishes use diminishing abrasives, as much easier on paint. It also is a new catch phrase as many have been using abrasives that break down for years. Marketing 101 ---

I believe I have discussed the benefits on j eweling the surface on many an occasion. With a final polish and a finishing pad (grey or blue) you are simply buffing the finish to diamond like qualities. The benefit to this is also that if you used a harsh pad or compound that left micro-marring, then this usually can remove/lessen it also.

First. a correction. It was #1, but I called it "Fine" and it was "Ultra Fine"

Second. You have talked about j eweling BUT I could not find the product/pad combo to do it before now. Yes, I got decent results--got rid of swirls and scratches--but I did not have the clarity I had hoped for.

I Finished with Meg's 81 by hand, then Meg's 21, and tomorrow I will put on Meg's 26 or Souveran. I only did the trunk lid.

Also it would be nice if the filter could be changed to permit use of the word j eweling.