PDA

View Full Version : What size pad should I get?

MJT
06-20-2013, 06:15 PM
What compound Pad should I get??
Hi there, I have just got a DA polisher from Harbor freight. It seems to be a great machine. However the only problem I have had is that the backing plate cuts into my cutting pad. I think this is because the Velcro connecting material on the back of the pad is not large enough in Diameter. Basically the Velcro on the backing plate around the outside is exposed and eats into the pad when at high speeds. The pad I have was bought from Harbor freight and says its a 6" pad but not sure if this is 'standard'.

So I need to get the right pad so this will not happen again. My backing plate is a 6" (although when measured its actually 5&3/4" in diameter). Would a 6" pad from your store be the right size and what are the diameters of the connecting material under the pads. I guess I need this material to completely fit with the Velcro backing plate.

Hope this makes sense. Really appreciate any advice as I am just starting out in this!

Mark.

ski2
06-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Mark welcome to AG!!

If you do a search here and almost any other detailing website you'll find many reports that the HF DA is not a bad machine to start out in machine polishing and waxing. However you will also find that most report the 6" backing plate that comes with the unit is junk.

Get yourself a good 5" backing plate made by Megs, Buff & Shine etc and get some quality 5.5" pads by Lake Country or Buff & Shine etc.

While the HF DA has more torque than a PC 5.5" pads will still offer better performance.

Wheelzntoys
06-20-2013, 06:42 PM
More info here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/55905-harbor-freight-da-polisher-new.html

Evan.J
06-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Mark welcome to AG!!

If you do a search here and almost any other detailing website you'll find many reports that the HF DA is not a bad machine to start out in machine polishing and waxing. However you will also find that most report the 6" backing plate that comes with the unit is junk.

Get yourself a good 5" backing plate made by Megs, Buff & Shine etc and get some quality 5.5" pads by Lake Country or Buff & Shine etc.

While the HF DA has more torque than a PC 5.5" pads will still offer better performance.

Well I completely agree!

Great info there! :dblthumb2: