PDA

View Full Version : Nikon...Blowing off steam

BradsDetailing
06-20-2013, 03:07 PM
I've seen a lot of people use expensive cameras for taking before and after photos so I thought this would be ok to post.

About 3 years ago I was looking into getting a cheap little camera to take better pictures than my cell phone. I was stuck between a nikon coolpix s6000 and an equivalent from canon. I chose the nikon because of the picture quality and it had 14mp and hd video recording. I thought it would be good for taking detailing pics or pics on vacations etc...

I took one picture with it and turned it off. The next day I went to power it on and the lens wouldn't focus and kept giving me an error. So I called up NIkon and sent it in for repair. Received it a month later and turned it on and it worked fine. I wasn't planning on taking any pictures so I took the battery out, put everything i a plastic bag and stored it in my closet.

About a month ago I took it out and went to charge the battery and it would not charge. It wouldn't turn on or do anything. Called Nikon and they said the warranty expired and tough luck. Usually I would agree but I took one picture with it for it's entire life and stored it properly without the battery in it and in a plastic bag. To me a camer that costs $150 should be able to sit in those conditions for a good amount of time and still work.

I eventually got it fixed for free and got it back today. Plugged it in an dnow it won't charge or turn on. This is the issue they were supposed to fix. Did they send it out without testing it? They had the same battery I am using in it right now. And nothing. Called up support and they said I would have to pay for shipping back.... -_-

Got the to take it back and will be sending it back in a couple days and will have to wait another 3 weeks. I asked if I could just get a new one, even a lower model, instead of dealing with this over and over again.

I'm not one to complain about something that's 3 years old and doesn't work but it wasn't even used. And it was stored properly. And it's been fixed 3 times now. Grrrrr

Just upset over this. The customer service reps are nice but gahhhh. They need to stop following their flow chart and say hey here's a new camera or just fix the thing and make sure it's working before they send it back.

Thanks for reading. Anyone else have and issues with a Nikon?

Planning on getting a Canon next

02xtreme07SS
06-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Have you ruled out the charger/power supply as the problem?

garyg7133
06-20-2013, 04:30 PM
That sucks. Bad battery? Bad charger? If you do go with Canon, We have 3 Power Shot cameras and LOVE them. One of them is about 9 years old and has had the snot beat out of it and the only thing that ever happened is the battery door flew off once. Snapped back on and it's fine.

bobble
06-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Interesting I've had the exact opposite problems, I have an old Nikon Point and shoot S520 which will not fail period no matter what. I have a Canon Rebel T2 which has not worked well since day one and I basically gave up on it and it sits in a closet. It's not that it won't charge or power up but I get a lot of really odd almost over exposed or washed out pics and if I turn it off and remove the battery to hard reset it, it works fine until sometime later and it does the same darn thing. I know it's cheaper DSLR but still a $100 camera is more consistent in picture quality. I have had a few bad batteries with Nikon though, EN EL 10's, have 2 of them that hardly hold a charge.

frontsite
06-20-2013, 05:28 PM
You can pick one of the older Canon like the DS6041 DSLR with 2 or 3 lens for $200- $300 depending on the lens. Even though they are less mp you can still take amazing pics with them. Have a couple I still use all the time no complains.

BradsDetailing
06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Have you ruled out the charger/power supply as the problem?

I gave them the battery to specifically test it when they had it for repair. They sent it back so I am assuming it isn't the problem. The charger works for everything else I plug into it and it shows it's connected to my laptop when I connect it via usb.

That sucks. Bad battery? Bad charger? If you do go with Canon, We have 3 Power Shot cameras and LOVE them. One of them is about 9 years old and has had the snot beat out of it and the only thing that ever happened is the battery door flew off once. Snapped back on and it's fine.

Really wishing I went with Canon. I though Nikon had a better lens and the pictures looked a little more what I was looking for. Not worth it so far lol.

Interesting I've had the exact opposite problems, I have an old Nikon Point and shoot S520 which will not fail period no matter what. I have a Canon Rebel T2 which has not worked well since day one and I basically gave up on it and it sits in a closet. It's not that it won't charge or power up but I get a lot of really odd almost over exposed or washed out pics and if I turn it off and remove the battery to hard reset it, it works fine until sometime later and it does the same darn thing. I know it's cheaper DSLR but still a $100 camera is more consistent in picture quality. I have had a few bad batteries with Nikon though, EN EL 10's, have 2 of them that hardly hold a charge.

Maybe it is the battery. But it won't even beep when I plug it in.

You can pick one of the older Canon like the DS6041 DSLR with 2 or 3 lens for $200- $300 depending on the lens. Even though they are less mp you can still take amazing pics with them. Have a couple I still use all the time no complains.

Thanks. I'm don't know a ton about cameras so that helps.

RadioWave
06-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Yep. We got a Nikon Coolpix S4000 and it has a lot of the same problems. You can google about it and it seems to affect just about every Coolpix camera made. You can try the steps they list on their support page (https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16862/~/my-coolpix-s3000-%2F-s4000-%2F-s6000-%2F-s8000-battery-does-not-charge-as-detailed-in) but it didn't help us. Good luck and never ever buy Nikon again :)

BradsDetailing
06-20-2013, 08:01 PM
lol, realized they have their own section under the support number for coolpix cameras