PDA

View Full Version : New opti-coat?

jcarson112
06-19-2013, 11:01 PM
You'll have to excuse the fact that I've been away from the boards for quite some time, but my search didn't turn up the answer I was looking for so here goes.

A while back I purchased the Opti-coat pretty much when it first came out. Applied it to our GTI and about a year later still have great results. However, with a new car coming and getting ready to prep and apply it again I notice some cool new stuff and an Opti-Coat v2. Whats the difference? Should I bin the old stuff and get the new product? I can't find anything that will tell me what the difference is (i'm computer savvy I swear but I can't find things I look for if my life depends on it just ask the wife HAHA).

Thanks for the help Geeks!

Setec Astronomy
06-20-2013, 06:30 AM
It was 2.0 when it first came out, unless you are a pro and were buying it before it was available for the consumer market. The consumer version released at 2.0 to differentiate it from the pro version, although they changed the pro version name to Opti-Guard for a while.

jcarson112
06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Maybe I just got confused...Im the MAN

I thought when it first came out the word was not to layer but have been reading its okay now?

Crispy
06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Opti-Coat and Opti-Coat 2.0 I think are the same thing (Optiguard was indeed the PRO version which had a quicker flash time). Good information available at "http://www.opti-coat.com/" and can be very helpful. Don't be afraid of the application-if you make a mistake or it turns out not to your liking, just compound it off and do again. The paint must be as good as you want before applying as it is a permanent type coating.Finally make sure you thoroughly clean the new car to remove all waxes or sealants that are on the new car finish.

Setec Astronomy
06-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Opti-Coat and Opti-Coat 2.0 I think are the same thing (Optiguard was indeed the PRO version which had a quicker flash time).

That's not the whole story. Once upon a time there was Opti-Coat. It was a professional-only product, unavailable through retail channels such as AutoGeek. When the consumer version was released (less solids, longer work time) it was/is called Opti-Coat 2.0. At that time the name of the pro version was changed to Opti-Guard, to prevent confusion. Unfortunately that caused more confusion, so last SEMA when the glass and lens products were introduced, Opti-Guard was changed to Opti-Coat Pro, which is also how the glass products are differentiated. I'm not sure if there actually is a pro lens product.

Rsurfer
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
That's not the whole story. Once upon a time there was Opti-Coat. It was a professional-only product, unavailable through retail channels such as AutoGeek. When the consumer version was released (less solids, longer work time) it was/is called Opti-Coat 2.0. At that time the name of the pro version was changed to Opti-Guard, to prevent confusion. Unfortunately that caused more confusion, so last SEMA when the glass and lens products were introduced, Opti-Guard was changed to Opti-Coat Pro, which is also how the glass products are differentiated. I'm not sure if there actually is a pro lens product.
Are they trying to compete with Menzerna on names and numbers?

jcarson112
06-22-2013, 12:24 AM
I don't know but it's enough to confuse me lol. Thanks for clearing it up Setec.

SonOfOC
06-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Are they trying to compete with Menzerna on names and numbers?

This had me laughing!:xyxthumbs: