PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a car has a coating?

david11g35
06-19-2013, 04:39 PM
My GF bought a 2011 BMW 328i in white. She is the second owner. Im suppose to detail it in a few weeks.This passed weekend while washing the car I noticed that the water was sheeting pretty good off the car. Didnt really pay attention to if after that. While drying the car I notice a finger print on the hood. I tried wiping it off and nothing. The print is still there, my guess is that the applied some sort of coating and the finger print is in the coating. I know sometimes dealerships install those so called "teflon coatings". I looked in the hood and door jams to see if they put some sort of sticker stating any coating.

Should I contact the dealer and try and get the entire history of the car?

rmagnus
06-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Lots of views. I don't have a good answer but have you tried lightly polishing out the fingetprint? Maybe by hand first then by machine? Shouldn't be hard to fix. Doesn't hurt to contact the dealer but don't expect too much...they've been paid.

VP Mark
06-19-2013, 05:55 PM
No way of knowing for certain. If k were you I'd polish it all off and start fresh. Probably just some overprices junk coating anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Evan.J
06-19-2013, 06:24 PM
No way of knowing for certain. If k were you I'd polish it all off and start fresh. Probably just some overprices junk coating anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

:iagree:
Great advice as always Mark!

This would be your best bet then you would know what is there and what is protecting the vehicle.