PDA

View Full Version : differences between pinnacle xmt and ultra poly clay bars

michelliot
06-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Morning,

I have an 08 accord that has never been clayed and a brand new camry with a pretty virginous surface. I'm sure the ultra poly is fine for the new car, but would it be inadequate for the older vehicle. I was wondering if the xmt is a little more aggressive thus performing better on the older surface.

If not, what would be recommended for such a circumstance, short of actually polishing the aged epidermis of the honda. I recently gave it a waxing with some signature II and though it looks great, I know it can look and feel a little better with a decent surface treatment first.

Many thanks and be well......elliot

wdmaccord
06-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Ultra Poly clay would be good for the new car, as you say. The XMT I have read is more aggressive. I saw a post about the BF Poly Clay II that mentioned it is the most aggressive a clay can be without marring and mentioned XMT was probably a step below that. I just ordered some XMT today, to use on my older cars, but the UP was plenty good for my 2013.

As they say, though, always start with the least aggressive. So try the UP on a panel of the 2008 Accord (maybe the trunk lid) and then baggie test it. If you still feel contaminants, then try a more aggressive clay. If not, do the rest of the car with UP and then move on to compound/polish.

FYI, the UP left some bumps behind on my 2008 CRV. It had never been clayed/sealed/waxed prior to this year. So I plan to try the XMT on it in the fall before my winter seal to see if it removes the rest of the bumps. It felt fine to the naked hand, but could feel bumps using a baggie.