PDA

View Full Version : what yearly maintenance on Opti Coat

octane
06-18-2013, 06:53 AM
last year I opticoated a friends F150, and still has good beading, but the guy wants a full maintenance, what would you guys do?

should I do a light claying, or stick with IronX and TarX?

would a paint cleaner/pre wax cleaner damage the coating?

thanks

zmcgovern45
06-18-2013, 07:09 AM
If the paint feels contaminated, I would start with Iron X + Tar X to see what the results were... if the contaminates remained, a light claying would be fine, but you always risk the chances of marring the paint with clay so you may need to follow up with a light abrasive (polish) for best results.

I have polished my 22ple coating with a fine finishing polish (PO85RD/Sf4500) and it still showed signs of protection (ie tight beading and great sheeting) which led me to believe the coating was not removed by such a light polish. This makes me believe you would be fine if you wanted to use a paint cleaner/cleaner wax to restore some extra gloss to the paint. I would try it in a small area first, then do an IPA wipedown, and check for beading afterwards to make sure the coating had not been removed.

Boudin
06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
I used WG Finishing Glaze on a black finishing pad with light pressure and didn't notice any degradation of the Opti-Coat.

RaskyR1
06-18-2013, 09:06 AM
I just finished touching up a clients white 2013 S4 last night, which was coated 7 months ago. The owner has hand washed it once since I coated and the rest has all been touch-less washes.....I think this car has to be one of the worst I've seen for rust blooms on the paint! The sides and back were riddled with the stuff and the wheels were pretty trashed too. I'll try and post pics next week.

After a wash, Tarminator, LOTS of IronX, and a light claying, she's back to new with no visible marring. I plan to hit it lightly with some GPS and a finishing pad this week as well.

On my own car, which was coated 13 months ago, all I had to do was hit it lightly with TarX and IronX. :props: