PDA

View Full Version : What will help

DogRescuer
06-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi my cars in good shape but I have some rubber that looks like someone bleached it whiite. Ive put Opti gel on it and that does nothing. Ive tried Meg back to black nothing, are there any ideas on making these parts black again?

BillE
06-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Maybe it's just too early in the morning, and my mind is still asleep...how about try using some sort of aerosol "tire shine" on a towel to clean that up?

Nothing I've tried, but it just popped into my addled brain.

Bill

Mach1USMC
06-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Peanut butter? (Don't laugh, it works!!)

hernandez.art13
06-18-2013, 10:06 AM

When one does this, do you recommend jelly as well? :P

dmayer
06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Perhaps a Reese's Cup...

cleanmycorolla
06-18-2013, 09:01 PM

The oils in the peanut butter revitalize this type of material, it works. Never tried it on door seals, but did on lawn furniture. Same material make up.

hernandez.art13
06-18-2013, 09:14 PM
What about the smell?

DogRescuer
06-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the serious answers, Ill try pb.

jgg85234
06-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Baby Oil will soak in and soften up hardened plastic, but it won't restore the color.

When we redid my wife's Pathfinder, I used baby oil and then after it had soaked in for a few days I used a dye. Some of the pieces I replaced, rather than try to fix. It is 24 years old, after all.

Rick at ADS recommended a product called Showroom New. The product comes in both grey and black.

Took a few coats (I'd suggest 3), but it ended up looking quite nice. It can be put on with an applicator, or for larger areas, a roller.

It even stuck on faded hard plastic, like the plastic parts of the grill that had completely faded. The texture disappeared as the product dried.

I think it's more like a paint than a dye. But, it's been on the car for 5 months, and still looks good.

Don't know why AutoGeek doesn't carry it. I thought it worked quite well.

Make sure you put on some gloves, or you'll spend some time getting it off your hands.

Jim

DogRescuer
06-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Baby Oil will soak in and soften up hardened plastic, but it won't restore the color.

When we redid my wife's Pathfinder, I used baby oil and then after it had soaked in for a few days I used a dye. Some of the pieces I replaced, rather than try to fix. It is 24 years old, after all.

Rick at ADS recommended a product called Showroom New. The product comes in both grey and black.

Took a few coats (I'd suggest 3), but it ended up looking quite nice. It can be put on with an applicator, or for larger areas, a roller.

It even stuck on faded hard plastic, like the plastic parts of the grill that had completely faded. The texture disappeared as the product dried.

I think it's more like a paint than a dye. But, it's been on the car for 5 months, and still looks good.

Don't know why AutoGeek doesn't carry it. I thought it worked quite well.

Make sure you put on some gloves, or you'll spend some time getting it off your hands.

Jim
Thank you, but these are rubber. I tried the pb= nothing.

hernandez.art13
06-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Any luck?