PDA

View Full Version : About to make my first purchase! Advice Needed!

Pages : [1] 2

Kyle_Elantra
06-16-2013, 10:50 PM
I am just about to make my very first purchase for my 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited!
I just got it back from the body shop after I got hit with 300 miles on it.

This is my first brand new (well it was) car, and I want to do it right this time. I have leather seats and a 7" LCD screen, so I want to keep the interior clean too.

I plan on using the Meguiars APC for all interior cleaning, and the DP interior surface protectant on top.

I am very very excited to keep this car looking good, and I am looking for some insight.

I already have Meguiars Gold Class car wash (I will have to do rinseless though - no hose), glass cleaner, some microfiber towels, and a Harbor Freight DA that was given to me.

After doing a LOT of research, this is what is currently in my cart. I tried to group the list so it's easier to read and see what I was going for:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/AG_Cart_2.png

I plan on pulling the trigger tomorrow but I would like a final thumbs up - or a suggestion on what to change.

The total currently comes out to almost exactly $300 with the new member discount - I am hoping to stay at that price point if possible.

Thanks for your feedback, plus all the help you have already given me before I even signed up!

Calendyr
06-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Wow! 27$ for 6 pads, that is one heck of a deal! I paid 22$ for 1 pad the other day and was planning to buy some at 10$ each... I think I will have to check out AG's site again. Last time I tried to order it did not work, would not let me enter a Canadian address, hope it's fixed.

Kyle_Elantra
06-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Wow! 27$ for 6 pads, that is one heck of a deal!

Yeah, I was really excited to see that deal too. I just fell into a neighbor giving me the HF DA so I was happy for the pad prices.
I hope I picked the right combination of pads!

hernandez.art13
06-17-2013, 01:50 AM
I am just about to make my very first purchase for my 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited!
I just got it back from the body shop after I got hit with 300 miles on it.

This is my first brand new (well it was) car, and I want to do it right this time. I have leather seats and a 7" LCD screen, so I want to keep the interior clean too.

I plan on using the Meguiars APC for all interior cleaning, and the DP interior surface protectant on top.

I am very very excited to keep this car looking good, and I am looking for some insight.

I already have Meguiars Gold Class car wash (I will have to do rinseless though - no hose), glass cleaner, some microfiber towels, and a Harbor Freight DA that was given to me.

After doing a LOT of research, this is what is currently in my cart. I tried to group the list so it's easier to read and see what I was going for:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/AG_Cart_2.png

I plan on pulling the trigger tomorrow but I would like a final thumbs up - or a suggestion on what to change.

The total currently comes out to almost exactly $300 with the new member discount - I am hoping to stay at that price point if possible.

Thanks for your feedback, plus all the help you have already given me before I even signed up!

If this is just for your car, then your Golden. You can always add or subtract but good job so far! IMO

Kyle_Elantra
06-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Yes, this is just for my car.
I'm excited but I'm nervous!

Superman0440
06-17-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm kind of new to but why didn't you go with the ccs pad

Kyle_Elantra
06-17-2013, 09:35 AM
I read some posts saying that the CCS texture allows product to build up. On a new car, I'm not really doing any correction work, so I'm just looking for something that will apply product smoothly without wasting any.
Also, I saw Mike Phillips say that MF ones can possibly cause micro marring. I think that was in his Wolfgang Twins topic.

Kyle_Elantra
06-17-2013, 09:38 AM
So, doing some more research, I've decided to add the following:

3" Backing Plate:
3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate, da backing plate, random orbital backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/3inch-dual-action-backing-plate.html)

I didn't know this existed, I am very excited for this as I don't believe that there is anywhere on my bumper that is 5.5" or smaller.

Griot's Garage 3 Inch Mini Red Wax Pad 3 Pack, red buffing pads, griots garage wax pads (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-red-pads-3.html)
I was going to apply the wax on the bumper just using an applicator, but if I've got the backing plate...

XMT Pad Care Combo <font size=2><i>by Pinnacle</i></font> (http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpadcacofs.html)
I didn't even think about cleaning the pads.

I'm going to need to get some terry cloth towels for hand cleaning the pads as I'm working.

c8n
06-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Did the body shop do any paint work?
If so, you should ask them how long to wait before waxing.

Kyle_Elantra
06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
They did, they had to paint 3 new panels plus touch up a spot on the front bumper. They advised to wait 30 days.

The reason I want to order soon is because I called AG and was told the new member discount code is only good for "at least a week". The guy I spoke with couldn't give me an exact time frame on when the code would expire and I don't want to take any chances. When I started researching this I told my wife I would spend around $200...now I'm pushing $400 lol. So every little discount helps!

hernandez.art13
06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
If you stick around Kyle, $200-$400 are your first steps lol

Kyle_Elantra
06-17-2013, 11:16 AM
I can tell already...I'm wanting to do real corrections too, so that means more pads and compounds....eventually an upgraded DA, it seems that everything I see is a "hmmm, I'd love to try that!" product!

hernandez.art13
06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
I have come to realize that Detailing is a therapeutic hobby (and it pays)

:)

Kyle_Elantra
06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Upon closer inspection, the paint appears to be in great shape.

After I clay, do I need to polish or use an AIO, or can I just skip straight to a sealant?

hernandez.art13
06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Upon closer inspection, the paint appears to be in great shape.

After I clay, do I need to polish or use an AIO, or can I just skip straight to a sealant?

I would like to hear what other Detailer's have to say about this as well :)