PDA

View Full Version : Questions: dust between toppings & pad cleaning

awl2win
06-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi Mike,

I am new to this forum and this is my very first post. But the reason I am here and can’t wait to start my first detailing job is because of your videos. You have changed my 30 year long misconception about car detailing. I used to think this is a “painful” process that I will never do it myself. Now, I really believe this is going to be a fun and enjoyable part of my life. Plus, I know it will make me feel so good and pride each time when I drive my cars from now on. So thanks again…

So for my 1st project on a black Prius, I am planning to do the following:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Swirl Removal
4. Finishing Polish
5. Glaze
6. Topping with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 for the 1st layer
a. Buff off after 30-45 mins
b. Let Sealant to cure for 12 hrs (overnight)

7. Apply Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax as the 2nd topping.

So here are my questions:
A) After 12 hours of step 6b and ready to apply wax the next morning, if the car has some dust sitting on the sealant surface over the night (my garage is really dusty), what will be the best way to remove and clean the dust/small particles before applying wax? Should I use pre-wax cleansing polish (such as Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer) OR use quick detailer or wipe it with a dry microfiber towel?
B) Along the entire process from washing to waxing, it will employ lots of pads, microfiber towels, mitts, and applicators. What will be the best way to clean them without causing cross contamination among them? (given I have purchased different types of cleaner for pads vs microfiber.)
C) Is it necessary to mark down the “purpose” of each pad and towel so that I can reuse them with the proper solution next time?

Thanks,
Joseph

Evan.J
06-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the forum first and foremost.

As for your questions:

A): you can use a quick detailer and a soft microfiber towel to remove light dust. If there is an abundance of dust the a wash would be better. Then go ahead and apply your fuzion wax.

B):I use tide for washing my towels. I wash all my paint towels together. I wash all my interior towels together then finally all my other towels. I use my pad washer to clean my pads but I used to use all purpose cleaner or a little bit of dawn.

I try to color coordinate my towels as much as possible.

cleanmycorolla
06-15-2013, 04:35 PM
You don't want to use paintwork polish enhancer. That'll strip the sealant. Do a quick QD or waterless wash.

awl2win
06-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Evans, Thanks.

awl2win
06-19-2013, 03:09 AM
Chris, Thanks for your tips.