PDA

View Full Version : Decal Removal Question

frontsite
06-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey, I know this question has been asked before but I have decals on my hood I want to remove, the clear coat is in good shape but it is quite a few years old. I read where a heat gun and plastic blades have been used successfully, has anyone ever used a decal remover like Polly S ELO ? I am really worried about damaging the clear coat would the heat gun be safer? Thanks in advance

MyFirstES300
06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
I have used this stuff in general and it's phenomenal. I did see a video on their web site about how to remove a bumper sticker from a car using their product. Of course, follow up with polish/wax after use. Try this web site for Motsenbocker's:

TAPE REMOVER :: Mötsenböcker's LIFT OFF ® (http://www.liftoffinc.com/product-tape-remover.php)

inDetail
06-13-2013, 11:17 PM
I detail wrapped vinyl graphic cars from time to time. Every now and then I get a call to detail a car that just had a deinstall done on the graphics usually just to clean up what was missed and get the gunk off. I use a blow dryer sometimes a handheld torch because the vinyl got baked in the sun and the person decided to keep it on there beyond the 5 year warranty to heat up the vinyl and it peels right off. Sometimes you need a plastic razor blade. Then goo gone on the really gunky parts it's usually never a lot because 3M cut Vinyl and wrap Vinyl releases so clean once it's warmed up. I am usually only used to ask to wash the car. So car shampoo mixed with some APC pre soak light power wash then another go around with 2 bucket method and done. Enough rambling Blow dryer, warm it up and peel. I would stay away from the heat gun unless you have done this before. You may just have to put more time in with a blow dryer. Goo gone let it sit for 30 seconds wipe it off then wash the car well. You don't want it drying on your car.

frontsite
06-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Hey thanks for the input I will take a look at these my biggest concern was the age of the paint and clear coat, I don't have a dept gauge but as old as it is and the condition it is in I am scared to do too much it is in great shape been taking care of it for 18 years now, still never liked the decals on the hood, thanks for the
feedback, John

Gem.Stickout
04-16-2014, 12:56 PM
I know its quite late to respond on this forum, but I believed you did great maybe on finding ways re your problem. However, I hope encountering such glitch did not dampen your will in getting more decals for your car; and I would like to show you the vinyl decals i have in my car. I think, its on the materials used. I have a vinyl 3m sticker on my car for over a year and it is very durable. It was very easy to take off and it didn't leave any residue. You can try this.