PDA

View Full Version : How to be more efficient and not repeat steps? Also when to tape/untape?

Detailed Josh
06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
I just started learning how to detailing (buffing/color sanding/etc.) at school so I'm sure it'll be covered, but I'm wanting to see others perspectives and learn now as I'm really trying to start a detailing business hopefully soon once I get more practice on some more cars.

I know all cars are going to vary on the dirtiness, defects, and what the customer wants as far as a production detail or show car detailing, but what are some steps to be more efficient without repeating unnecessary steps and wasting time?

A list something like:

Wash (I'm going for ONR) panels
Wipe dry with microfiber drying towels
etc. etc..

Also I'm still unsure of when to tape, what, and when to untape. On a junk fender I practiced color sanding and then a multi-stage compound, polish, swirl, etc detailing I felt like I taped it, untaped, and then re-taped again because I was having "ghost" tape lines from some of the more aggressive early steps (color sanding). Anything I should ALWAYS tape up, and when do I remove (and reapply if needed?) the tape?

I think this is a lot so if you can answer any of this I appreciate it.

thebamboo23
06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
I think you should keep on learning until you have a solid foundation of what you're doing

Where are you learning how to sand/buff?

Body shop sanding and detail wet sanding is a different game

You asked very very very basic/common questions. Which are thousands of answers on various detailing forums

Keep practicing, read a lot, trial and error, ask more troubled questions, try products/tools, read every thread in the Show n Shine section
Everyone's method/process/approach differs from car, paint hardness, customers needs/budget, tools/products the detailer has

Detailing by M
06-12-2013, 11:45 PM
tape is the least of your worries right now but you tape off the plastic that you don't want wax to get on or tape off areas that you might burn through.

hernandez.art13
06-12-2013, 11:53 PM
I believe:
read
Ask
trial/error
ask
Then back to trial
= experience

Experience:
1 a : direct observation of or participation in events as a basis of knowledge

You can read for a whole year and know all the book stuff,
but without trial and error
& Participating
it'll be hard to gain experience.

You have to fill your brain with a bunch of knowledge then go get your hands dirty to fully learn (you can't just be book smart)

You have the benefit of getting an education, congratulations!

Just My Opinion.

Detailed Josh
06-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Yeah I'm going to college for Automotive Collision Repair so it is a different game. I'm probably going to aim for just a regular Production Detailing with using AIO's. Just trying to look forward to the higher up stuff, and in general the process.

Yes more experience is needed before I take on actual customers. Thankfully I have practice cars to work on at college, and even my own. I almost have all of my equipment/products to start me off too as far as a business.

hernandez.art13
06-13-2013, 12:23 AM
I have been wanting to get PPG certified, not that I want to be a painter my dad, uncle, and grandpa were painters.

Grandpa can't paint anymore, health problems from all the paint fumes.

I just love learning new things...And want to learn why/how the process that I am working on occur. (Paint)

Evan.J
06-13-2013, 05:12 AM
I think you should keep on learning until you have a solid foundation of what you're doing

Where are you learning how to sand/buff?

Body shop sanding and detail wet sanding is a different game

You asked very very very basic/common questions. Which are thousands of answers on various detailing forums

Keep practicing, read a lot, trial and error, ask more troubled questions, try products/tools, read every thread in the Show n Shine section
Everyone's method/process/approach differs from car, paint hardness, customers needs/budget, tools/products the detailer has

tape is the least of your worries right now but you tape off the plastic that you don't want wax to get on or tape off areas that you might burn through.

:iagree:
Both of these guys are right. Practice, practice practice. Its not alls about having the high end products or the high end tools. In the field its all about your technique and your attention to detail all the small things. Your technique in the way you use your tools will be the most important aspect of detailing. The only way to get your technique is to practice.

Expanding your knowledge by constantly reading will help you better understand what things you may come across in this field. Not only just reading but reading and understanding what you have read as well. :props:

Detailed Josh
06-17-2013, 11:28 PM
I guess I'm getting ahead of myself as I've been getting more hands on experience since this post and feeling more comfortable, learning what to do, and not to do, so yeah. Any tips of the whole process is still appreciated.

Kyle_Elantra
06-18-2013, 12:33 AM
I read an article from Mine Phillips advising to go near the tape, but not right against it or you do get that persistent line where the paint is now at different depths.